Search this blog

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Review: Blood Red Road by Moria Young

Released: June 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Series: Dustlands #1
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 464
Genre: dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic 
Format: Online
Source: Pulse It 
Buy This At: Amazon

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back. Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

In all honesty I didn't think i would get into this one at all. The description of the book was what drew me in but when I began to read the preview for this on "Pulse It" a site by Simon  & Schuster, the language was slightly appalling. But, reading more into the story and learning about the post-apocalyptic background and thinking about how society would revert to common time-place and lose the ever growing language, i started to step into the pages and get comfortable with Saba's story and her voice.  

When I started to read Blood Red Road, I'm going to be honest once more, I read every word with a southern accent, haha! I guess reading this book in North Carolina doesn't really help me much there now does it?

The thoughts, the descriptions, and the entirety of Saba kept me reading this book. Her rough, stubborn, storm like tendencies are vividly enhanced in the beginning of the book, but I always find characters that go though life's journeys and slowly change, not for the worse, but they change as a person: they mature. And that is what happens to Saba. 


I have to say though, when Jack was introduced, i loved him. Later on in the story i disliked the constant bickering between him and Saba but in the end I loved their whole relationship. I guess I'm a sucker for love.


Definitely a book to give a chance, it won't steer you wrong. Especially if you enjoy character growth, because Saba has a lot of growing to do and it's an enriching experience to watch as she progresses through the journey to find her brother, Lugh.


First Line: Lugh got born first.
Story: S 
Cover: A

5 comments :

Natalievintagegirl said...

I will have to look out for this one next time I go shopping. great revieew!

Inky said...

AWESOMNESS! I'm really excited to read this! Great review

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

My friend Em was overly excited about this one. lol. Almost forcing me to get it. I still have to read it. But it does sound like a good book.
Great review!

Michelle said...

Loved this book! And I was the same as you, I had an accent the entire time I was reading this book and even for a few days afterwards. I didn't think I would like it, but I loved it. The beginning grabbed me and the ending was perfect.

Haraiah said...

This is one of the most recent books in my shelf. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for your review.

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers