Search this blog

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Review: Deadman Wonderland by Jinsei Kataoka

Deadman Wonderland by Jinsei Kataoka 

Manga:
Year of Release: 2007
Status: Ongoing
Current Volumes: 10
Author: Jinsei Kataoka
Artist: 
Kazuma Kondou
Genre: Action, Adventure, Drama, Horror, Mature, Sci-fi, Shounen, Supernatural, Tragedy
Buy This At: Amazon

Ten years have passed since the Great Tokyo Earthquake, and the people's memories of the disaster have faded. Ganta Igarashi, a middle school evacuee, has finally begun to live a normal life...that is, until the day 'Red Man' appears at his school and Ganta's fate is changed forever. His entire class is brutally murdered, and although innocent of the crime, Ganta is sentenced to death and sent to the bizarre prison known as 'Deadman Wonderland'.




I am enjoying this manga very much, I'm a girl who likes her action as well as some gruesome scenes. Now Deadman Wonderland isn't very well known but it is different from many shounen manga that I've happened to read.

Deadman Wonderland has such a unique story with captivating characters that draw you in and wonder about their backstory and once you see their past you can't help but not love them even more. That's what i really enjoyed about this manga, I love all of the protagonists and i despise the antagonists. I pity those and i root for them as well. And in the battle with Crow and Woodpecker i couldn't choose who to win because i really liked both of them though you don't know Crow very well since it happens to be the beginning of Volume One, but hey, they're both my favorite characters in this! 

The artwork (i advise those with a weak stomach to keep a bowl beside oneself...you know, just incase) is very dark and some graphics were even hard for me to stomach down (The Punishment Games...ughhhh!!!!) but I have truly become enthralled with this manga. If you're read the "Battle Royale" manga or "Zetman" then you'd be familiar with the graphic nature of "Deadman Wonderland". With every fight i am always praying that Crow (my favorite character) DOESN'T DIE because i would be so upset if he did (insert crying face).

I'm awaiting the next volume and hope it's not the last because I happen to want more of Deadman Wonderland but I don't want it to become the next "Naruto" or "One Piece" because then it won't stop and the story will be lost. And i truly like the manga as it is, it doesn't need the perks of being popular to keep it updadted and have like, 40 volumes...but that's my opinion. :)

I NEED MORE OF MY GANTA AND CROW!!!!!!