Search this blog

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Review: Kimi Ni Todoke (From Me to You) by Karuho Shiina

Kimi Ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina


Manga:
Year of Release: 2006
Status: Ongoing
Current Volumes: 9
Author/ Artist: Karuho Shiina
Genre: Romance, School Life, Shoujo 
Buy This At: Amazon

Sawako Kuronuma is the perfect heroine...for a horror movie. With her jet-black hair, sinister smile and silent demeanor, she's often mistaken for Sadako, the haunting character from Ringu. Unbeknownst to but a few, behind her scary fa├žade is a very misunderstood teenager. Shy and pure of heart, she just wants to make friends. But when Kazehaya, the most popular boy in class, befriends her, she's sure to make more than just that--she's about to make some enemies too!




I tend to go back and forth between novels and manga from time to time so I feel like giving my review of a manga that I hold in my heart.


Kimi Ni Todoke, known in English as "Reaching You" or "From Me to You", was something that i had come across along scanlations on websites. The artwork had interested me and the story of a girl, Sawako Kuronuma, being mistaken by her classmates as "Sadako" from the Ring, the story seemed to put me off. I didn't think i would like it. I tried out the first few chapters and I didn't get into it. But i don't judge by the beginning because most stories start out slow.


The title itself was also another vector that kept me going. The title was peaceful and cute, i guess cute things just keep me coming back... that and the artwork. It was different and i liked that about this manga, it gave it distinct characteristics and allowed me to differentiate and know the mangaka's work. I also didn't think I'd like it because most shoujo becomes repetitive but i truly did fall in love with everything this story has to offer its readers.


The love story between Kuronuma and Kazehaya  began to grow on me because it's innocence was truly beautiful. Sawako happened to grow on me, not out of pity because her classmates feared her appearance, but how she is gentle and kind, how she was able to befriend Ayane and Chizuru after they saw behind her scary appearance (which was more of a socially awkward characteristic of Sawako) and became close with the girl. Each and every character is developed where you could just jump into the story and start a conversation with each and know what they'd say or how they'd react and see every emotion they'd play.


If you've never read a manga before, it don't knock it until you try it. It's great to enjoy the beautiful and peaceful art that the mangaka prescribes and the story is fantastic. Every volume will have you waiting on the edge of your seat begging for the release date to roll in sooner. I recommend this to those who love a romance story filled with such lovely innocence because this one is truly beautiful beyond words of expression.