Search this blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Review: Beastly by Alex Flinn

Beastly by Alex Flinn


Release Date: October 1, 2007
Publisher: HarperTeen
Stand Alone Novel
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 304
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Format: Paperback
Source: Borders
Buy This At: Amazon











I am a beast. A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog, but a horrible new creature who walks upright – a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster. 
You think I’m talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It’s no deformity, no disease. And I’ll stay this way forever – ruined – unless I can break the spell. Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I’ll tell you. I’ll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and a perfect life. And then, I’ll tell you how I became perfectly beastly.

I can honestly say that Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite romantic tales. Ever since I watch the Disney movie only months ago and my school doing the musical of Beauty and the Beast, I thought it was fate that Beastly was a book (and becoming a major motion picture at the time).

I fell head over heals for this book! Snotty, cocky bastard Kyle Kingsbury brought down by a spell a la witch. With only a two year time limit, Kyle has to love and be loved in return or he will be beastly forever. Classic Beauty and the Beast.

I'm going to put this out there, when Will came into the story I just couldn't get a picture of Robin Williams out of my head! I've been watching The Dead Poet Society WAY too much! But, I felt like he would have played a great Will in the movie version, not saying Neil Patrick Harris was a bad choice (I love Neil Patrick Harris, by the way). And I love Lindy and Kyle together, so cute!

I will definitely look into more of Alex Flinn's novels, because she has definitely gotten me hooked! 

5 comments :

Monica G Lopez said...

I have to say I honestly love Beastly! It's one of my personal favorites :)

aparajita said...

Truly Beastly is a lovely novel...

but the movie and the movie ending ruined it a little bit for me (although Alex Pettyfur played the character extremely well)

and i too need to check her other books :D

Kim said...

Thanks for the review! I've been planning on buying it and this has sort of given me an extra push. I also love how your reviews are quick and to the point (:

- Kim

Katharyn Vela said...

Beastly was one of my favorites too! I read it when I was a freshman and it introduced me to fairy tale retellings! Now I love them!

Dian Aesha said...

thanks for the riview,,i havent read this book but i ever watching this movie and i like a Alex Pettyfer..

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers