Search this blog

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate

Fallen by Lauren Kate
Series: Fallen #1
Release Date: December 8, 2009
Publisher: Delacorte Press
A Young Adult novel
Pages: 452
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance

There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori. Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move. Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her

I'm such a sap for love stories, I really am and sometimes it really creeps me out how much I love them.

Everything about Fallen was beautiful. From the diction and descriptions to the dialogue and characters. Though the beginning was a tad slow for my tastes, by the middle of the book I was reading all the way to the climax and the end hungrily. A very engrossing read once you hit the mark. Unfortunately, it does take quite a bit of time and plenty of Luce's horrid attempts of getting around school to get to that part of the novel where everything starts to roll like a snowball.


Though I enjoyed Luce and Daniel's love story I could really guess at parts and it was a drag waiting for the explanations to finally come in. The use of the prologue destroys the anticipation and unexpected moments the novel fights to set up. I was waiting for explanations to come, but I just kept waiting and as much as the story progression was needed, the waiting game was getting tiring until FINALLY towards the middle-end of the book it's explained. I already knew exactly what was going on and EXACTLY what Daniel was so it was a tireless wait, but at least Lauren Kate made it a beautiful moment.


Pretty, but could've used better story telling . . . two targets.




5 comments :

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

Oh, Fallen. I loved that one! Normal I don't see any good reviews about it though so I'm glad you liked it! :)

Sandy! said...

I still haven't read it, even though I have it at home and all the reviews are incredibly positive...
Maybe in summer =)
Thanks for the review!

Zaara Safi said...

I really loved this book and I'm glad you also enjoyed it. And I totally agree with you, some parts could be really boring and dragging, but in the end it was pretty exciting! :3

Samantha Tinsay said...

I'm currently reading this and I'm kinda almost half-way through (?) but thanks for letting me know when I'll finally know what's up between Daniel & Luce because this book makes me so curious and the review is very well written, exactly what I'm thinking and the review just makes me want to read more thank you

Alecia said...

I've heard some mixed reviews on this one but after hearing your thoughts I totally want to check it out! It sounds like a great love story mixed with fantasy which I love!

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers