Search this blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Publication Date: September 14, 2008
Publisher: Scholastic 
Series: The Hunger Games #1
Young Adult
Pages: 374
Genre: Action, Dystopian, Science Fiction
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.
I can say that I absolutely adored The Hunger Games, every single moment, every single word. I was lingering on every move that Katniss made. I'm all for action and this book really fed me with the dosage that I needed. Some of the fluff leading up to the Games did make me wonder what I was actually reading, the whole glam and glory for the tributes, but I went with it and I was glad that Suzanne Collins put it in there because I adored Cinna, a real favorite of mine in the novel and I wish he could make my outfits.

When I first heard about The Hunger Games I had already finished Battle Royale and was indeed hooked on that book. I was weary of reading this book for I would have seen it as a copy of Battle Royale but after giving it a chance, it most certainly is not a copy but a wonder in its own way. Sure the fighting is fluffed down to what Battle Royale gives you and the concepts of installing fear into the hearts of people is on the same page, The Hunger Games does resemble a take on Shirley Jackson's The Lottery if you've ever read that short story. All three are horrid in their own way.

I love dystopian novels and The Hunger Games is up there. It hasn't beaten out Battle Royale, I hold that one close to my heart, but it's still up in my top favorites. Suspenseful, thought-provoking, and enticing, this novel was well paced and always made me hungry for more action and dished out in large engrossing portions. Bravo, Hunger Games you have me revving up for Catching Fire!

First Line: When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.
Story: XS
Cover: C