Search this blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Review: Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Release Date: April 25, 2005
Publisher: Knopf 
Series: Inheritance #1
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 503
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Young Adult
Format: Hardcover
Source: Borrowed From A Friend









When young Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his adopted family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of inescapable destiny, magical forces, and powerful people. With only an ancient sword and the instruction of an old, mysterious, hermit storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a Emperor whose evil and power knows no bounds. Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands….

I was recommended this book by one of my guy friends who knows how much i enjoy reading fantasy with all that magic and what not. He wanted me to read it so much that I gave into his whim and consumed this book in about a week, which i found astounded with school and marching band taking over most of my life.

I have read many mixed reviews on this book before getting started. I was wary towards reading this because of that but my wariness was extremely wrong because this was a fabulous story. Reading about how Paolini was only 15 when he got his book published had me insanely jealous but also has me determined to reach for that goal even though i'm older than the 15 year mark. 

Though I felt that the book was rather slow towards the beginning, many of the battle scenes that take place and the dialogue with Eragon and Saphira was beautiful and fun to read. Even reading about the legend of the Dragon Riders and the past of the characters was tragic but engaging. Those scenes never bored me but had me blowing through page after page, hungry for more.

First Line: Wind howled through the night, carrying a scent that would change the world.

Story: XS

Cover:  S

2 comments :

chasing empty pavements said...

I read this book when it first came out as a recommendation from my little sister who bought it for me but hadn't read it yet. I was very skeptical however... I wolfed it down in a day!!! I loved it! I too was jealous and impressed by Paolini's success at such a young age. But after reading the books, id say its well deserved.

Shelver506 said...

I LOVED this book when I was younger. Absolutely loved it. Like you, I was jealous of his success, but I loved his characters, especially the werecat, whose name I forget. Sadly, I've fallen out of love. I stopped reading after the second book and haven't looked back.

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers