Search this blog

Monday, September 5, 2011

Review: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Looking for Alaska by John Green 
Release Date: March 3, 2005
Publisher: Puffin
A Young Adult novel
Pages: 221
Genre: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Romance

Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps. 
Looking for Alaska brilliantly chronicles the indelible impact one life can have on another. A stunning debut, it marks John Green's arrival as an important new voice in contemporary fiction.
This was my first John Green novel and it happens to be my favorite of his and my favorite of all time. John Green is the man of humor, John Green is the man who uses words to bring tears to my eyes, John Green is truly a wonderful and inspiring author.

Looking For Alaska introduces Miles Halter looking to begin a new, interesting life where be begins to attend boarding school where his father once went. There he meets The Colonel and the beautiful Alaska who take his world by storm and show him the time of his life.

Truly, John is the master of character development because every character that was in this book was an actual person. They talked, they walked, they had humor, they had faults, they were kids living the dream! They were doing what I couldn't do in my reality, they were doing what I wish I could be doing and John Green utilizes that and builds his characters into the idol teenagers.

This book was so engrossing. Literally I read it in one sitting. And once I came to the end my eyes were in tears and i could barely read the page anymore. I couldn't cry though because I was in the car with my parents and having them question me would be horrible! Looking For Alaska made me laugh, made me cry, made me think, made me second-guess, and it made me realize that I'm but a human and that's the truth. And surly you will feel and realize these things when you read it too. 

First Line: The weekend before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama, my mother insisted on throwing me a going-away party.

Five targets slayed for the Great Perhaps



3 comments :

Rea said...

I saw this book the other week in the ABC in Den Haag. I hadn't heard of it before then but it's definitely caught my interest. Hearing you call it one of your all time favourite books has decided me that I simply must invest in it asap!!

Rea

Alecia said...

Great review this book sounds all kinds of amazing! I really need to jump on the Joh Green bandwagon even if I know my heart will be tron to pieces :( but I've just heard too many good things about his books to be missing out.

Courtney Ann said...

@Alecia, This was my first novel, and I think that all new John Green readers should read this one first, since it happens to be his debut novel as well.

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers