Search this blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

Review: The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegen

The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegen 


Release Date: September 27, 2011
Publisher: Egmont USA
Series: The Mephisto Covenant #1
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 439
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Format: e-Galley
Source: NetGalley








Sasha is desperate to find out who murdered her father. When getting the answer means pledging her soul to Eryx, she unlocks a secret that puts her in grave danger—Sasha is Anabo, a daughter of Eve, and Eryx’s biggest threat. 
A son of Hell, immortal, and bound to Earth forever, Jax looks for redemption in the Mephisto Covenant—God’s promise he will find peace in the love of an Anabo. After a thousand years, he’s finally found the girl he’s been searching for: Sasha. 
With the threat of Eryx looming, Jax has to keep Sasha safe and win her over. But can he? Will Sasha love him and give up her mortal life?

This book really wasn't what I expected it to be. The mythological portion was interesting but over all, I was actually disappointed by this book. 

The whole time I was reading, it felt as if I was eating stale bread. It was just bland writing. I couldn't get into the story, nor could I deeply involve myself with the characters because there wasn't much complexity to them. They were either completely good or they were completely evil. Not to mention when the Mephisto are tempted by everything around them and have to stop themselves from taking in the tempting sins, there wasn't any form of temptation besides Sasha that I could find in this book. Lust isn't the only temptation he should have to deal with but all of the deadly sins that rummage throughout the lives and worlds of others. 

I felt like this was closely related to a Cinderella tale. You have the aunt that hates Sasha's being, a cousin that makes her miserable, every lost child wanting to ruin her or kill her. I mean, it was hard for me to even get past some of the parts because I just wanted to scream at all of these people. Yeah, they sold their soul and now have no conscience. 

Some of these scenes were really hard for me to read because I was becoming uncomfortable with the content. I mean the constant focus on Sasha's boobs during Jax's sections and all of the attempted rape scenes by the "popular" lost kids. My stomach was doing 180s and I just had to speed through some scenes.

I'm giving it a two mostly because of the: vulgar scenes, the lack of character from the characters, and the bland writing. I just really wasn't hooked on this one as much as i would have likes too. The disappointment ran deep as I finished the ending. Don't start me on it because it's SO CHEESY. And it's extremely predictable. But, this book happened to have a cover that deceives you, because it did me. 

First Line: "Your father's ring is gone! And that slime, Alex, took it -- I know he did."

Story: B

Cover: XS