Search this blog

Friday, September 9, 2011

Review: Shugo Chara by Peach-Pit

Shugo Chara by Peach-Pit

Release Date: March 27, 2007
Publisher: Del Rey
Series: Shugo Chara #1
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Shojo
Format: Paperback
Source: Borders
Buy This At: Amazon





Everybody at Seiyo Elementary thinks that stylish and super cool Amu has it all: But nobody knows the real Amu, a shy girl who wishes she had the courage to truly be herself. Changing Amu’s life is going to take more than wishes and dreams–it’s going to take a little magic! One morning, Amu finds a surprise in her bed: three strange little eggs. Each egg contains a Guardian Character, an angel-like being who can give her the power to be someone new. With the help of her Guardian Characters, Amu is about to discover that her true self is even more amazing than she ever dreamed.

 I honestly recommend this book to those who enjoy a little romance, can handle the two-boy love conflict, and lots and lots of innocence. Because this manga is adorable as it is entertaining. 

Shugo Chara happens to revolve around Hinamori Amu who is a elementary school student that can't be herself around others. She has to play the "cool" persona, thinking its the only way people will recognize her let alone be friends with her. But after wishing to be who she really is deep down inside, manifestations of her true self called Shugo Chara's appear before her to help her truly becomes who he wants to be.

It's original, it's quirky, it's adorable. Very cute with your whole transformations like Sailor Moon style. They seem to be really popular in Japan, but I really can't complain because the transformations are very cute and tell a lot about the characters themselves. Oh and character development, it really does progress along the series. I have truly fallen for Kukai during my readings. Come on, cute sporty boy with a sense of humor and is uber nice! The cutest Jack ever c:

The only thing that I really didn't like about this whole series was the obliviousness from most of the characters and the whole two-boy love conflict. I mean, I understand that it's important to the role of the story, but reading about it gets really old. I personally think Kukai was a much better fit for Amu than Tadase (really disliked his character. Too much of a pansy.) and Ikuto (your typical bay boy. I liked him, but I loved Kukai much more).

Story: S

Artwork: S

2 comments :

Sharmaine Chan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sharmaine Chan said...

I totally agree with you! Sometimes I wonder myself what part of Tadase did Amu like. Actually, I never finished this manga because:

1) I knew this from the anime. and while the first season was great and all, the second and third were not
2) Sometimes I just want to hit Amu because either I got too frustrated with her or just for the thought of hitting her
3) When did Kukai and Utau get together, it's just too bizarre!

But I do agree with your review!

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers