Search this blog

Monday, October 17, 2011

Review: The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson


The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
Series: Jenna Fox Chronicles #1
Released Date: September 1, 2009
Publisher: Square Fish
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 265
Genre: Mystery, Romance, Science Fiction
Seventeen-year-old Jenna Fox has just awoken from a year-long coma—so she’s been told—and she is still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. But what happened before that? She’s been given home movies chronicling her entire life, which spark memories to surface. But are the memories really hers? And why won’t anyone in her family talk about the accident? Jenna is becoming more curious. But she is also afraid of what she might find out if she ever gets up the courage to ask her questions. What happened to Jenna Fox? And who is she really?

The morals of this book truly are deep.

Questions of my own views would pop up every now and again. How far would I go to save my child? How would I feel if Jenna's life was my own? How would I act? 

Jenna's gradual progression from waking up from a comatose state and entering reality was such a realistic progression. Her actions, emotions, logic from beginning to end is beautifully woven. Pearson's imagistic diction reflects such innocence in Jenna Fox.

The relationship between Jenna and her parents is something that is usually seen by overachieving parents. Where perfect is the goal and everything becomes a weight on her shoulders. I understand that the Foxes want her to prosper but happiness of your child should be what you want. 

I love, love, love Jenna and Ethan. They are adorable together. And the ending was bittersweet to me but the Aww's came running out of my mouth. But Dane truly confused me. He was a character that would just pop up out of nowhere and I would be making faces and question marks would be appearing around my head.

All in all, this was a beautiful read about the qualms of the inner-self, and the hard decisions that seem to take hold in the minds of many but are acted upon by the lives of few.

First Line: I used to be someone.



Five targets slayed

11 comments :

Anna said...

I'm glad to hear this is a good one! I really want to read it! I'm excited to get it :) Great review!

Mocha ღ Latte(Cupcake and a Latte) said...

Wonderful review, Courtney!
I've been wondering about Jenna Fox for a while =)

-Wendy from A Cupcake and a Latte: YA Reviews

Shortskie said...

Thanks Wendy and Anna :D I extremely recommend this book.

Natasa @ What Makes YA Beautiful said...

I absolutely LOVED this book. I thought Ethan's character could have been better developed but that's the only criticism I have really. Thank you for the review =)

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

I love the cover! But I think the story sounds great too. Adding this to my to-read list right now. Thanks for the review! :)

geektasticdisappointment said...

I read this book before. And it was really awesome in a way that it freaked me out by the end. Nice review.

Brandileigh2003 (Blkosiners Book Blog) said...

I enjoyed this one and agree it was deep.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Rebecca Hipworth said...

This sounds completely unique to anything else I've read. It sounds like it is very good. Thanks for the review. :)

nurmawati djuhawan said...

my friend gave me this biik as a gift...haven't read it yet...but i thing this biik is interesting..
i want to know love story beetween jenna and ethan...

Roxana Zuziac said...

Great review. The cover looks interesting. Now this book it's on my wishlist, thanks.

Nora said...

I picked this book up on a whim a while ago, but haven't had a chance to start it yet (so many books, so little time) -- glad to hear it's a good one! I think I'll move it up my TBR pile. :)

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers