Search this blog

Monday, October 10, 2011

Review: Ashfall by Mike Mullin


Release Date: October 11, 2011
Publisher: Tanglewood Press
Series: Ashfall #1
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 466
Genre: Adventure, Apocalyptic, Dystopian, Science Fiction
Under the bubbling hot springs and geysers of Yellowstone National Park is a supervolcano. Most people don't know it's there. The caldera is so large that it can only be seen from a plane or satellite. It just could be overdue for an eruption, which would change the landscape and climate of our planet.     Ashfall is the story of Alex, a teenage boy left alone for the weekend while his parents visit relatives. When the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts unexpectedly, Alex is determined to reach his parents. He must travel over a hundred miles in a landscape transformed by a foot of ash and the destruction of every modern convenience that he has ever known, and through a new world in which disaster has brought out both the best and worst in people desperate for food, water, and warmth. With a combination of nonstop action, a little romance, and very real science, this is a story that is difficult to stop reading and even more difficult to forget.


I must bow down to you Mr. Mullin, for it takes quite a bit to get my stomach knotting, and you good sir had done just that. 

It is hard for me to find a good book with a male protagonist that i enjoy. Just the feeling of trying to step into shoes that usually are much larger than my own (I have petite feet) is a challenge for myself as a female reader. Gender aside, Alex was an adoring character that had me rooting for him on the sidelines through all his troubles. 

Though there were parts that seemed a tad slow and the sentence structure was slightly choppy in places, the journey of Alex and Darla surly made up for that. Not only that but you get a little bit of everything in this book: Action, Adventure, Romance. What is not to love about this book?


Oh my, do not get me started on that cover. Simply ominous. It's breathtaking and truly had me drawn in. 

Kudos Mr. Mullin, for you have me swooning over this book not only to my family but pretty much to those who have cursed themselves by talking to me. And I am truly excited to hear that there is going to be a sequel to this book, something that aches to wait for but longing to look forward to. 


First Line: I was home alone on that Friday evening.
Story: XS
Cover: S

4 comments :

Oh! Paper Pages said...

I also loved Ashfall. Check out NetGalley! The sequel, Ashen Winter, is now available!

aparajita said...

I got Ashen Winter from netgalley too and Ashfall after a request,...seems like i'd love this book...you cemented my views about reading it as fast as possible

Doodle said...

I still need to read this and your review only makes me want to read it more!! I am in love with this cover! Great review!

Nora said...

I've been told to pick this one up because I have a post-Yellowstone novel idea on my to-write list, but I'd held off on it because I, like you, often have trouble feeling as invested in stories with male protagonists. But if you liked it this much anyway, I may have to rethink my reservations!

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers