Search this blog

Monday, October 31, 2011

Review: Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld


Released Date: September 22, 2009
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Series: Leviathan #1
Artsit: Keith Thompson
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 440
Genre: Adventure, Historical Fiction, Steampunk
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library 








Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men. 
Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered. 
With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.

My junior and high school career was reading Westerfeld's stories. When I heard that he was writing another book I believe I fainted a few times. And they're steampunk! STEAMPUNK! My newest fetish of books as well as science fiction but that's another story. Leviathan was everything that I expected and more. I mean come on, the illustrations are so detailed that they could be on par with orgasmic cupcakes. Who doesn't enjoy cupcakes?

The action was beautifully detailed. From the Clanker machines battling it out, and the Darwinist animals fighting against the metal machines. There was not one slow paced section in here and those always make the best books. 

You have a girl posing as a male to join the air force (Deryn Sharp), and a Austrian prince fleeing his country for survival (Prince Aleksander). And I have literally fallen for both of them, yes even Deryn. Westerfeld I believe you have me questioning my sexuality with your beautiful characters! But... I love Alek more (x - x) I'm TEAM ALEK all the way everyone. Their relationship is beautiful. But I laughed when Alek said something along the lines as "It was embarrassing to be captured by a boy". It's funny because Deryn is a girl...oh the irony.

So If you like action, a steampunk version of WWI, cross-dressing characters who go into war, and Austrian royalty... this is the book for you!


First Line: The Austrian horses glinted in the moonlight, their riders standing tall in the saddle, swords raised.


Story: XS


Cover: S

2 comments :

Nina @ Death Books and Tea said...

Orgasmic pictures....that's a good way of putting it. I think I slightly love Deryn more.... I'm in love with both of them. Have you read the other two yet?

Shortskie said...

@Nina- It's the best word that fit the description haha! I have only read the first one and I'm working on getting the second one. Though I have the third in its ARC form xD

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers