Search this blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review: Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Wither by Lauren Destefano 


Released: March 22, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Series: The Chemical Garden #1
Age Group: Age 16+
Pages: 358
Genre: Dystopian, Romance, Science Fiction
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought (Borders)








Obviously, something went terribly wrong. Genetic mutations have festered, reducing human longevity to twenty-five, even less for most women. To prevent extinction, young girls are kidnapped, mated in polygamous marriages with men eager to procreate. Sixteen-year-old Rhine Ellery, a recent victim of this breeding farm mentality, has vowed to break loose from its fetters; but finding allies and a safe way out is a challenge she can only hope she will survive. 

Breathless. Exhilarated. Completely Enthralled. 


There was literally not one thing that I disliked about this story. The characters: realistic, diverse, all around gorgeous depictions of everyone. I fell for every character (besides Vaughn /choughcough) and I could not choose between Linden and Gabriel for Rhine. I had fallen for both. And if the circumstances were completely different I would have loved if Rhine truly fell for Linden. My heart is still strung for him.


Such a big fan for Dystopian, I am. The whole premise of this story was delicious. Women only life until 20 years of age and men for 25. To think about such ages actually being our limitations and early acceptance into death... It's horrifying. I would, like Rhine, have 4 years left (3 in late November) and such a conscience realization is traumatic. 


The writing is vivid, descriptive, rich. I was engrossed in the pages from the very start, unable to leave. I never wanted to put the book down, honestly. I was distraught when I had to set it aside for moments at a time. Doing school work while this amazing story was tantalizing me; it just wasn't fair! But the torture was worth it because the ending was so bittersweet and the realization that the sequel release date isn't too far along brings a smile to my face.


First Lines: I wait. They keep us in the dark for so long that we lose sense of our eyelids.


Story: XXS <-- /Swoon to the max


Cover: XS 

3 comments :

Maji Bookshelf said...

ive heard so much about this book and the cover art is fantastic! it is so pretty! plus purple is my favorite color so thats a plus :P Also the trilogy name is chemical garden. How can i not love this? anyways let me get to the point i wanted to make, you seem to have highly enjoyed it, i like dystopian/romance, i haven't read actual reviews of the book so ur review gave it an extra push for me to read it =)

thanks! and great review, also congrats on your 50+ followers :D

- juhina

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

I'm really glad I see a good review about this for once. Lately everywhere I look I see people who dislike this book and I can't understand why. This book is brilliant and I love Lauren DeStefano. She seems so nice!
Thank you for this great review!

Nora said...

Ah! I already wanted to read this book, on premise alone, but knowing it's fast-paced and lives up to expectations makes me want to read it EVEN MORE. Must find the time!

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers