Search this blog

Monday, November 7, 2011

Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent #1
Released Date: May 3, 2011
Publisher: HarperCollins
Young Adult
Pages: 489
Genre: Adventure, Science Fiction, Romance

In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. 

     During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she’s chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she’s kept hidden from everyone because she’s been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

I'm sure this had to be one of my favorite dystopian of the year (pretty much on par with Battle Royale). I read this book in a day, all 489 pages. Yeah, that's dedication. But dedication didn't matter because everything about Divergent was invoking.  Veronica Roth's writing style was pretty much golden and was like soft-serve ice cream, yummy and smooth.

Entering the story was a tad confusing because of all the sectors that Roth reveals but the more I engaged myself into the story, the faster I was able to differentiate and not go back to the opening flap of the cover every time a faction was named. I could match them with my eyes closed now. And I have to say, her dystopian universe is so crazy-cool!

The descriptions are by far the best thing about Divergent. Veronica Roth just plops you down on a canvas and paints all over you. Emotions, fears, anticipation, satisfaction. Everything just enveloped me when I was reading. When Tris is jumping from trains, falling off buildings, climbing Ferris Wheels, or shooting down a 100 story building, my gut was just accumulating masses of moths and butterflies and sharp twinges of electricity. I felt the rush, the adrenaline, and the fear (I AM EXTREMELY TERRIFIED OF HEIGHTS)!

Not to mention what a kickass protag Tris is. Her character development is just phenomenal. She's witty, cunning, badass, brave and strong. The ultimate female heroine. Oh and Four literally stole my heart. He would reveal little pieces of himself to Tris and I just fangirled all over the place. They are perfect for each other. Peter made me want to jump into the book and pound his face in. He's that guy that is such a douche that you need to beat him to wipe that smug smile off his disgusting face! A disastrous antagonist that Tris has to combat against.

If you haven't picked up Divergent, you have no idea what you're missing. This is literally the best debut dystopian of the year and all young adult lovers should go and grab this off the shelves. Yes, fight the mobs and go for the prize! Run! For you will possibly spontaneously combust from not reading this!

First Line: There is one mirror in my house.

Five targets slayed by Dauntless

6 comments :

Anna Otto said...

I love this book! I read it a little bit ago, and it's so good! Yes, Four is so awesome possum! XD

Diana_Dimovska said...

I absolutely love this book. I can say that I even like it more than The Hunger Games... Can't wait to read Insurgent, it should be great too! :)

Angela said...

Oh my god, yes! I totally agree with what you said. Divergent is my favourite Dystopian novel. And I too, felt all the emotions, the actions in the book as if I was in it myself, or as if I'm the character themselves. It's definitely a must read. :D

Veronika said...

I love Divergent! At first I was so worried to read it,..I know it's silly, but I read so many awesome reviews about it that's why. But I'm so happy I read it! This book is one of my favorite books ever.

Arianne Cruz said...

I really want to read this! Everyone loves it

izz said...

I would love to read this book, sound awesome :D

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers