Search this blog

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Review: Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore

Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore


Released: October 25, 2011
Publisher: Bloombury USA
Stand Alone Novel
Young Adult
Pages: 240
Genre: Fantasy, Mermaids, Romance
Format: e-Galley
Source: Netgalley
For as long as Esmerine can remember, she has longed to join her older sister, Dosinia, as a siren--the highest calling a mermaid can have. When Dosinia runs away to the mainland, Esmerine is sent to retrieve her. Using magic to transform her tail into legs, she makes her way unsteadily to the capital city. There she comes upon a friend she hasn't seen since childhood--a dashing young man named Alander, who belongs to a winged race of people. As Esmerine and Alander band together to search for Dosinia, they rekindle a friendship . . . and ignite the emotions for a love so great, it cannot be bound by sea, land, or air.

 Jaclyn Dolamore created a extremely fun and cute story based on the mermaid/siren lore. It was a short read but extremely engaging, never letting me put the book down. I was up until the wee hours of a school night reading this, hung on Dolamore's beautiful storytelling.

I have to say that the only other mermaid story that I have read would be Hans Christian Anderson's The Little Mermaid, so it was nice to dive into another mermaid centered story. Sorry for the pun, it seemed efficient. 

Dolamore's descriptions, her take on the siren legend, the dialogue, the romance, everything was executed wonderfully. Esmerine's dedication to her sister and to herself made me click with her instantly and take her seriously and connect on an emotional level with her. Alandare sparked my interest with his entrance into the story. The match of two worlds, of sea and sky, had me rooting for Esmerine and Alandare the whole way.

With a breathtaking novel that erupts into the world of the sea, Jaclyn Dolamore gives her readers a different take upon the world under the sea, and captivates them with a fun adventure and adorable love along the way.

First Line: It was not every day that a mermaid became a siren, and not every day that Esmerine attended such a party.

Story: S

Cover: S

2 comments :

Maji Bookshelf said...

I have this on my review pile. I've been trying to get a chance to read it but I haven't read many reviews about it, so far I've read three (including yours) and every single person loved it! Honestly I love it when books hook you to the point that you stay up all night even though you know you have work/uni the next day!

Thanks for the review. You totally set my mind to reading it next :)

- juhina

Shelver 506 said...

I've been dying to get my hands on this book (it's surprisingly scarce in my neck of the woods), so I'm relieved and overjoyed to hear that it was just as wonderful as I hoped it would be.

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers