Search this blog

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin


Released: September 27, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Series: Mara Dyer #1
Young Adult
Pages: 452
Genre: Fantasy, Mystery, Paranormal, Romance
Format: e-Book
Source: Pulse It









Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.

Mara Dyer is one heck of a roller coaster novel, I can tell you this much from experience. Now this is a book that most people are going to love or most people are going to hate. I definitely enjoyed The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer for three things: The hot, intellectual Noah Shaw that could be as yummy as soft-serve vanilla ice cream. Comedic genius dialogue that had me raving and rolling off my bed a few times. And Jamie Roth, Mr. "skipping-grade-intellect-parseltongue-learning-bisexual" friend who is not only cunning but lovable to where you wanna fistbump after everything he says. Oh, and the cover. Can't forget about that gorgeous cover!

Now there was only one thing that kinda put me off. All through the book you know there's going to be paranormal, and your waiting for it, and you just keep waiting, until FINALLY you figure it out. Except for Mara. Then you're thrown into her thoughts of "it was obviously a dream.... ..... .....RIGHT?" which put me through six or seven loops. And then during the final chapters you get this massive load of information which just added ten more hoops. So you get the paranormal buzzer going off and I'm just sitting there with  my eye twitched from that massive information and sensory overload. And then you have a cliffhanger which caused an epileptic seizure.

So all in all. Awesome characters. Mara "Don't-Step-On-Me-Because-I-Bite-Back" Dyer who's mind and narration you can't assume is the real deal all the time. Mr. Noah "I'm-Sexy-And-I-Know-It" Shaw who you wish was your legitimate boyfriend. Jamie "I'm-A-Cliché" Roth. And then you got your asshole characters such as Anna and Aiden who just make you wanna punch a wall and scream at someone to show them no mercy. Trust me, I did that all. 

Take the roller coaster ride. If that doesn't wanna make you read the book, then do it for the cover because it's just beautiful. 

First Line: My name is not Mara Dyer, but my lawyer told me I had to choose something.

Story: S

Cover: XS


2 comments :

Toshia said...

Great review.. I agreed with you.. Mara Dyer was one heck of a roller coaster novel. With twist and turns and surprises around ever corner that has you wondering what the heck will happen next.. lol.. I really enjoy this book and can't wait to read book two, to see what will happen to Mara next..

Neysa Kristanti said...

This novel sounds great :D
Add it to my TBR list. Thanks for the review :)

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers