Search this blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Review: You Are My Only by Beth Kephart

You Are My Only by Beth Kephart


Released: October 25, 2011
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Stand Alone Novel
Young Adult
Pages: 256
Genre: Contemporary, Family, Mystery, Realistic Fiction
Format: e-Galley
Source: Netgalley
Emmy Rane is married at nineteen, a mother by twenty. Trapped in a life with a husband she no longer loves, Baby is her only joy. Then one sunny day in September, Emmy takes a few fateful steps away from her baby and returns to find her missing. All that is left behind is a yellow sock. 
Fourteen years later, Sophie, a homeschooled, reclusive teenage girl is forced to move frequently and abruptly from place to place, perpetually running from what her mother calls the "No Good." One afternoon, Sophie breaks the rules, ventures out, and meets Joey and his two aunts. It is this loving family that gives Sophie the courage to look into her past. What she discovers changes her world forever. . . .
I enjoyed reading this book, coming back into contemporary settings is like a breath of fresh air for me. Kephart's narrative was engrossing and made time fly while I was reading. Though some of her sentence structure was choppy other lines were poetic, which gave it an airy feel. Even though this story is predictable from the beginning, the message and emotions that Kephart conveys kept me flipping through the pages.

The dual POV story tends to be common in young adult literature, going between two different characters and their personalities and narratives. I enjoyed reading Sophie's story more than Emmy's more for the fact of her innocence, curiosity, and the joy of watching her grow. With Emmy's story, though it is quite tragic, it was hard to settle in with her personality and the dialogue was tough to read at time.

The ending, though bittersweet, it just leaves you hanging. I was hoping for an epilogue kinda deal breaker but it just cut off. I had so many questions left unanswered and some emotions that couldn't I couldn't find closure for. The abruptness of it all was rather disappointing. 

First Line: My house is a storybook house.

Story: A

Cover: B



3 comments :

Serena said...

I liked the hanging ending....I think there was enough hope there that you could gather a rebuilding would occur. I really enjoyed this novel.

Jessi said...

Hi! I just found your blog at the TBR reading challenge. I'm your newest follower.

This book sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. Can't wait to see more reviews in the future! :)

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

Sounds beautiful. :)

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers