Search this blog

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Released Date: March 27, 2007
Publisher:Margaret K. McElderry Books
A Young Adult novel
Pages: 485
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance, Supernatural
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder - much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing - not even a smear of blood - to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy? 
     This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. 
City of Bones was definitely one of those books that just sucks up your attention with no intent of letting go. A very good book when you're looking to just sit on the big comfy couch and stick your nose in that book. The hours just fly by and I honestly didn't know that the sun set when I put the book down. My day flew away as my attention was grasped by Cassandra Clare's City of Bones.

One thing that I truly enjoyed reading within this book was the action and fighting. It wasn't weak where the violence was lacking. Some books water the fighting down but not in this one. The fast-paced action shots were vivid within the writing and the imagination.

The character development within the book had me grown attached. In the beginning I was with Clary all the way with seeking to find her mother. Though sometimes I wanted to throw a book at her, to open her eyes to what was right in front of her. It's not that she was oblivious...well yeah, she was oblivious. And Jace. The lovely, gorgeous "Mr. Golden", Jace. He's that character who's sly charm and smooth moves, or should I say self-absorbed nature just draws you in. I wasn't extremely enthralled with Jace, to tell you the truth. The high and mighty nature was nit picky within me. I don't hate his character, though there is some minor irkage dwelling within.

Another thing about City of Bones is the twists and turns within that always keep your attention spot on. I couldn't tell you how many times I was smacking my face because of what what going on. Usually I find plot twists, when over used or used incorrectly, abhorred in nature and I can't even finish a book, but Cassandra Claire really had me going and I didn't even mind it! The shocks were enjoyable, some of them I could see coming, but biggest one at the end . . . OH BOY! CoB fans know what I'm talking about!

Final Summation: Definitely, if you haven't read this series, go and get it. 

First Line: "You've got to be kidding me," the bouncer said, folding his arms across his massive jacket.
Five targets slayed!

5 comments :

Sarah (saz101) said...

Oh my freaking goodness, I LOVE this series. I DEVOURED them over a weekend. You're making me want to go read them again... and I STILL haven't started on the new books, despite having had Clockwork Angel sitting at home for over a year. I'm going to read it this weekend, I think.

Kat C said...

Yeah, I mean Clary was pretty oblivious. And that ending ? I won't spoil it, but how about that twist ending ?

Mocha ღ Latte(Cupcake and a Latte) said...

I absolutely adore the mortal instruments series. It's by far one of my favorites, despite some reader baglash that I've witnessed. I think Casssandra has a really exciting and unique world in that of the shadowhunters. And, come on, who DOESN'T love Jace? He's cocky, maybe a little ignorant,but I still heart him! (PS. Magnus PWNS!)


Excellent review, Courtney!!


-★Wendy★
A Cupcake and a Latte: Young Adult Reviews!

Kristall said...

I just love the mortal instruments series.And I really enjoyed the twists, who were mostly imprevisible. The final was... mindblowing.Who would expect it?

Deb K said...

I feel so torn about whether I should start this series or not. on one hand they're super popular and have lots of positive reviews and the story sounds interesting but on the other hand I've seen bits and parts of the movie and the tv series which just appear to be super cheesy. There's also the fact the the author is known to be a plagiariser and I do not support that at all soo yeah unsure as of yet.

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers