Search this blog

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone #1
Publication Date: September 27, 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Adults
A Young Adult novel
Pages: 418
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low. And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war. 
     Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out. When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

Lani Taylor, I must say that for this being my first book of yours, you have definitely sucked me into your style of writing and your wonderful imagination. At first I was a bit skeptical about this book, with anticipation building up over the months of waiting, I was fretting that the bar of expectations was going to be raised to high, resulting in immediate disappointment. After getting over the shaky bridge of the beginning and easing my way into Taylor's style and format of descriptions, I was able to cross the bridge. Looking back, I enjoyed every step of the way.

With Daughter of Smoke and Bone you have to throw away reality and accept the universe that Taylor has prescribed. The city of Prague shelters Karou, our artistic prodigy whose past remains secret to both her and the reader. Sent around by the mysterious chimaera Brimstone in search of teeth, human specifically. An angel roams the streets burning portals and and leaving behind black handprints that are inextinguishable. Paths begin to intersect for better and for worse.

Third person, dual POV between Karou and Akiva looks deeper into emotions, background, and answers questions that are asked by the characters and the reader. Taylor gives her all as a master storyteller with these two characters, their background, and the descriptions that wrap you up in a blanket and keep your warm throughout the night. Reading back and forth between Karou's expeditions with Brimstone, the unveiling of her past, and Akiva's flight to find this mysterious blue haired girl; I was enveloped in a story that I didn't dare put down.

The relationships between the characters, the emotions that bubble and evaporate off Karou and Akiva left every fiber of be tingling for more. The dialogue was witty, adoring, and realistic. And my favorite part would have to of been the tale of Madrigal and Akiva: the love, the tragedy, and the sensations brought to life through a never-ending war. Everything was beautiful within this story no matter how dark the setting became, Taylor's telling had my on the edge of my seat, nearly falling right off.   

First Line: Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.

All five targets slain

12 comments :

Sarah (saz101) said...

I so can't wait to read this book! Heard such amazing things. Thanks for a fab review!

Melina said...

Wow, what a great review! I LOVE your last paragraph. It really captures the emotions in this book.

Ceska said...

I loved the lyrical way this book it was written, I loved the fact that I didn't breathe normally while I was reading it, I loved the fact that I want to meet this book in person and shake its hand in awe.
I loved everything about this book.

rachchan2006 said...

I absolutely loved this book, there was so many unexpected twists and turns and the writing was so beautiful and lyrical this was definitely one of my favorite reads of 2011. The plot-line was definitely very unique and I love that you get to see how much the past influences the present times. This is definitely an amazing, must-read book.

Veronika said...

This book is amazing! I've heard so much about it, and someone was a bit reluctant to read it, but I'm so glad I did finally! Akiva is my absolutely favorite, but all the characters are well built and amazing!

franchie15 said...

Yes, I agree! XS. This is one of the best fantasy/paranormal books out there. I totally loved Akiva, Karou and their world. :)

REBECCA@ReadingWishes said...

I've heard such wonderful things about this book and I'm glad you ended up loving it aswell! Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze this book into the budget and read it super soon! Fab review!

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

Sounds amazing! Great review! :)

Kristall said...

I loved this book. It's spellbound. I can't wait till I read next.

Mariah said...

I have been debating on whether or not I should read this book. Thanks to your review, I have decided that I do! I cannot wait to read it now!

Alecia said...

What a great review! I have this on my TBR shelf and I cannot wait to read. Though it does sound like a very strange story I am intrigued the concept.

Courtney Ann said...

@Alecia, It's one of those YOU NEED TO READ THIS books. If you do end up picking this up soon, I'd love to hear what you think.

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers