Search this blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Review: Every Other Day by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Published: December 27, 2011
Publisher: Egmont USA
Young Adult
Pages: 336
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance



Every other day, Kali D'Angelo is a normal sixteen-year-old girl. She goes to public high school. She attends pep rallies. She's human.
     And then every day in between . . .She's something else entirely.
     Though she still looks like herself, every twenty-four hours predatory instincts take over and Kali becomes a feared demon-hunter with the undeniable urge to hunt, trap, and kill zombies, hellhounds, and other supernatural creatures. Kali has no idea why she is the way she is, but she gives in to instinct anyway. Even though the government considers it environmental terrorism.
     When Kali notices a mark on the lower back of a popular girl at school, she knows instantly that the girl is marked for death by one of these creatures. Kali has twenty-four hours to save her and, unfortunately, she'll have to do it as a human. With the help of a few new friends, Kali takes a risk that her human body might not survive. . .and learns the secrets of her mysterious condition in the process.

*I received this book as a galley from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*


I managed to read most of this when I was stuck in my car whose destination was New York City, and let me tell you that when you're sitting in traffic the words really fly off the pages. The action packed adventure that Jennifer Lynn Barnes put before her readers was astounding and the concept of Every Other Day just blew me away.

When Kali changed from human to something else every other dawn, she does what she can to rid the city of the monsters that lurk in the shadows. When instincts arise to save a life with the cost of her own, Kali's story takes a turn for the unexpected as she begins to learn about herself through the path to death.

When first starting off I felt confident about this novel. There were a few shaky parts where I needed to remind myself that Kali's world harbored demons but I didn't really understand if the humans that roam around can see them or not or if they have any idea that they existed. As the story played out my haze of confusion dissipated and I could continue with ease as Kali brought her story to life. 

The strong and sensual character that Kali was the driving force of this novel. The very subject that she goes through these strange changes alone, fights alone, and really has raised herself alone for years makes her that much stronger as a person and as a hunter. She has a stubborn nature but not so much of a savior complex when it comes to doing the right thing and I liked that about her. She wasn't someone who considered herself a superhero with no recollection of her own personal matters, she was a teenager who feared death but knew that it was her duty to do the job she was (apparently) born to do.

I must say that I was glad to have this novel when I was in that heavy traffic because those battle scenes blew away my reality and sent me into a reverie of blissful fantasy. Definitely check out this novel when you get the chance, you don't regret it!  



First Line: The decision to make hellhounds an endangered species was beyond asinine, but I expected nothing less from a government that had bankrolled not one, but two, endowed chairs in preternatural biology (one of them my father's) at University That Shall Not Be Named.

Story: S

Cover: B