Search this blog

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Review: On a Dark Wing by Jordan Dane


Released Date: December 27, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Stand Alone Novel
Young Adult
Pages: 384
Genre: Paranormal, Romance, Supernatural
The choices I had made led to the moment when fate took over. I would learn a lesson I wasn't prepared for. And Death would be my willing teacher. Five years ago, Abbey Chandler cheated Death. She survived a horrific car accident, but her "lucky" break came at the expense of her mother's life and changed everything. After she crossed paths with Death—by taking the hand of an ethereal boy made of clouds and sky—she would never be normal again. Now she's the target of Death's ravens and an innocent boy's life is on the line. When Nate Holden—Abbey's secret crush—starts to climb Alaska's Denali, the Angel of Death stalks him because of her. And Abbey finds out the hard way that Death never forgets.
Reading this book left a bad taste in my mouth. I had high hopes after reading the synopsis and other reviewers' opinions of the book but I just couldn't like the story line at all no matter how hard I tried.

Getting into the beginning of the book was smooth sailing but when Abbey's character revealed itself in full bloom to the reader I had to back away before I exploded. Let me make this clear: I do not like Abbey Chandler. She blames herself for her mother's death and in return clearly blows up at her father who is in the same position as he is: mourning over the loss of his wife. In my eyes I view Abbey as immature. In the early chapters the reader is brought up into the conversation of Abbey's obsession over Nate Holden. She is borderline obsessed it's crazy, and not to mention she has never spoken a word to him nor does he acknowledge her existence. Next to insta-love, crazy-obsessive protags do not go over well with me. 

At first I thought this book was going to be in Abbey's point of view, but then it jumps to Nate's. From there I'm thinking it's going to be a dual teenage POV where you get Abbey's view and Nate's view. Nope! It jumps to Tanner, Abbey's best friend confined into a wheelchair. From there it jumps to Nate's dad, Nate's mom, and my head is spinning from all of these point of views and how recent the jumps between them occur. It's very unorganized, confusing, and unappealing to me as a reader.

Going into Nate's POV bored me to tears. I was expecting a grandeur of action going on during his climb of Denali but all I witnessed was a bland expedition that ended in be turning the other way. There wasn't much for me to connect to and evidently was outshine by Tanner who gave a mile and then some just for Abbey. His dedication, attitude, and just his ability to stand by Abbey made him a true best friend and had me on his side from the very beginning.   

Next on what I didn't enjoy within this book was the cyber bullying towards Abbey and Tanner because of who they are. It wasn't really necessary within the plot. Detailing Abbey an outcast was made prominent in the beginning of the book but the cyber bullying just seemed too abstract in terms of what was going on. I don't know if it was suppose to impose dramatic feelings towards these characters or to speed along some where in the rising action but it just didn't do it for me. It just seemed irreverent.  

The slow plot progressions have always been hard for me to get through and Jordan Dane did make me climb a mountain to catch a glimpse of On a Dark Wing's ultimately simple plot. Not only did this make it hard to have my attention grasped but it just made me want to skim faster than sit back and read thoroughly.

I wish I could have liked this book I truly do, but there was just so much that made me want to put this book down and never look at the likes of it again. I do hope in future novels that Jordan Dane write, she writes with more of a connection to her audience because out of every character in the book there was only one that I could connect with and truly tie into and it wasn't even the main protag.   

First Line: I had countless excuses for missing the bus that afternoon, five years ago.
Story: C
Cover: A