Search this blog

Monday, December 12, 2011

Review: Tempest by Julie Cross (WITH AUDIO BOOK SAMPLER)

Tempest by Julie Cross


Released: January 17, 2012
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Series: Tempest #1
Young Adult
Pages: 352
Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Paranormal
Source: Goodreads
Format: Advanced Reader's Copy
The year is 2009. Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy... he's in college, has a girlfriend... and he can travel back through time. But it's not like the movies - nothing changes in the present after he jumps, there's no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors - it's just harmless fun. That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future. Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities. But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler.  Recruit… or kill him. Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.
Click play to hear a sample of the first chapter! 


*Special thanks to Macmillan Audio*



I liked it, I believe my expectations were a tad too high for this novel and I was crestfallen towards the end.

When I first heard about this book the idea of time-travel made me think of Doctor Who within an instant. Looking back on this novel Julie Cross' installation of time travel had me jumping through a few loops. It didn't really sound like time travel, more like rewinding a video but with the ability to interact in different ways. The concept of not being able to change the past or alter the future by being in the past ruined my view of a Butterfly Effect I was expecting within this novel.

The reader is introduced to Jackson Meyer, a 19-year-old college student with the ability to travel back in time. Within the first few chapters Jackson is attacked by two men who, within a fight trying to escape, kill Holly, his girlfriend of the present. With that Jackson jumps to the year 2007 and is unable to return to his true "home base."

Jackson as our male protag was hard for me to connect with. Beyond the major cliches of prep-school rich kid living in Manhattan, he is an impulsive, headstrong, afraid of commitment teenager whose heart is tender and loyal to those he cares about. Now, I wasn't falling head over heels for Jackson despite his ability to speak french and recite Dickens. I just couldn't really fall for him because he seemed too perfect and the thought of him being too perfect had me turning away from him. Through having a male narrator was a nice change of scenery in YA novels.

Now in the synopsis the mention of Enemies of Time is brought up but in the story itself, they aren't mention until you're nearing the end, and the build up towards it... well there wasn't much of one. I was expecting a large explosion of emotions but all I really felt in the scene was it being a chat over tea. Not to mention the name "Enemies of Time" it's a bit of a drag for the villains of the story. All in all with the impact of building up with the plot, it was weak and it took a while. There were characters that were spent too much time on and others that were only mentioned once but had a huge impact to the story line. I felt cheated towards the end because of this.

I'm hoping that the sequel to Tempest grabs my attention more and hopefully there is less in relationship building and more towards the action of the plot. Though I am interested, due to how Miss Cross ended the first novel, how she is going to go with the next two in the trilogy. 



First Line: Okay, so it's true. I can time-travel. 


Story: A


Cover: S


3 comments :

Samual said...

I've seen this cover a lot. I like it! I also like the sounds of the book. Thank you for sharing your review! Great job!! :)

Sam
Books For All Seasons

Veronika said...

I loved this book! I read it as ARC, and it was great! At first I was a bit worried it will be boring, but it wasn't! I can this book recommend it to everyone!

Nora said...

I'd seen this book around, but was sort of on the fence about picking up a copy... But I really can't stand super-perfect-at-everything heroes, so I think I'll pass. Thanks for the intel!

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers