Search this blog

Monday, December 26, 2011

Review: Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder


Release Date: December 20, 2011
Publisher: Mira
Series: Healer #1
Young Adult
Pages: 394
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Laying hands upon the sick and dying, Avry of Kazan absorbs their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused for spreading the plague that has decimated the Fifteen Realms, leaving survivors in a state of chaos. Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life...
 *I received this book as a galley from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

After reading Miss Snyder's Inside Out series I knew that her Healer series would have me growing attached but I didn't expect how much. Going from the Inside Out series and into the Healer series you can see the different in the lucidity of writing. Touch of Power is a beautiful tale of adventure, love, sarcasm, and kickass characters that will hold your attention for hours on end.


Entering into the novel you meet Avry, a healer during the times of a plague within the land of the Fifteen Realms, who is to be captured and killed for assumption towards her vocation being a harbinger of the plague that sweeps the land. From there she is rescued by a band of men in dire need of a healer to save a man who could save them from impending doom.


The distinctive properties of the healing in the book was intriguing for when Avry goes about completing her deeds, that who is healed leaves scot-free while Avry is left to tend to the wounds that she absorbed whether malignant or benign. The development of Avry and her choice to go through such torturous healing (obtaining scars and fevers and remain unconscious for days), and put her life on the line for the very men who begin to pull her heartstrings. 


The action within this had stationed my attention for hours, never letting me leave the story, or even my room for that matter. I wanted to know what happened next. I wanted to watch the characters grow. I read and read and read until the very end, one that left me with a warm heart and anticipation for a sequel that brings Avry and Kerrick and the boys back into my life in the new year.


First Line: The little girl wouldn't stop crying.


Story: XS


Cover: A

2 comments :

Romi said...

I'm waiting to read this one!

rachchan2006 said...

I've read Maria Snyder's Study series, and while I found it quite interesting and engaging, it wasn't my favorite series in the world which is why I was hesitant about reading Touch of Power (even though it has a gorgeous cover and an interesting-sounding plot-line). After reading your review, however, I feel a lot more assured and I'm going to later check to see if I can find it at my public library!

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers