Search this blog

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Review: Virtuosity by Jessica Martinez

Virtuosity by Jessica Martinez


Released: October 18, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Stand Alone Novel
Young Adult
Pages: 294
Genre: Contemporary, Music, Realistic Fiction, Romance
Source: Pulse It
Format: Online Novel
Now is not the time for Carmen to fall in love. And Jeremy is hands-down the wrong guy for her to fall for. He is infuriating, arrogant, and the only person who can stand in the way of Carmen getting the one thing she wants most: to win the prestigious Guarneri competition. Carmen's whole life is violin, and until she me Jeremy, her whole focus was winning. But what if Jeremy isn't just hot...what if Jeremy is better? Carmen knows that kissing Jeremy can't end well, but she just can't stay away. Nobody else understands her--and riles her up--like he does. Still, she can't trust him with her biggest secret: She is so desperate to win she takes anti-anxiety drugs to perform, and what started as an easy fix has become a hungry addiction. Carmen is sick of not feeling anything on stage and even more sick of always doing what she’s told, doing what's expected. Sometimes, being on top just means you have a long way to fall....

Being a music lover and knowing how competitive the music world gets, I was able to fall into Carmen's world with ease. Basically this book revived my love for the classical music and how striving for success and just playing music gives you that feeling of soaring. 

Virtuosity never left me empty, dissatisfied, or bored while reading. Sometimes I wouldn't even notice the page numbers and find myself flying twenty pages at a time before stopping and looking down to see where I was. This novel grasped my attention and never let it go until the very last line. And I do applaud Jessica Martinez for such a wonderful triumph!

While reading I felt as if I were walking in Carmen Bianchi's shoes. Everything she felt bubbled through me: happiness, rage, humiliation, dread. She was a character to live up to, someone that I would enjoy hanging around, a real role model. The way she executes not only music but her life made me applaud, especially when the action of standing up for herself against her mother. I couldn't wipe that smile of satisfaction off my face. Carmen Bianchi was a true, pure, and remarkable protagonist that is the true essence of a role model and someone not to mess with, that's for sure.

Now, let me speak about Jeremy King. The cute, British, violin prodigy come to fight his way to fame against Carmen. Miss Martinez executes Jeremy wonderfully in the beginning, a snarky ass that doesn't know whether to befreind Carmen or hate her because of the competition. Their roundabout sarcastic comments to one another had me heated and boy, was Miss Martinez great at getting emotions sparking from me! As the story progressed Jeremy's competition sewed layers began to unravel and I fell in love with his witty and adorable character.

Virtuosity happens to be my favorite contemporary of 2011, hands down. Never in a contemporary novel have I felt so many emotions, enjoyed the satisfaction of music, or fallen harder for a boy. Jessica Martinez had me from beginning to end and I never wanted the magic to end!

First Line: The balcony felt cold under my cheek.

Story: XS

Cover: A