Search this blog

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer


Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles  #1
Publication Date: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Fiewel & Friends
Young Adult
Pages: 387
Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . . 
   Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. 
   In this thrilling debut young adult novel, the first of a quartet, Marissa Meyer introduces readers to an unforgettable heroine and a masterfully crafted new world that’s enthralling.
*I received an advanced reader's copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Oh gosh, I really don't think I can put to words my complete adoration towards this book! Remarkable retelling, imaginative change-up from the original, character's whose depth and witty banter pulled me down into the story like wearing cement shoes in the ocean. I was absorbed into Marissa Meyer's enchanted writing from start to finish.

Retelling Cinderella as a cyborg is complete genius! You can't get any cooler than that! Imaginative, original, and adorable; Cinder made my beginning of 2012 a memorable one! Ms. Meyer's debut novel blew my socks off time and again and I can say that they never came back on.

A futuristic setting for this novel completely blew me away. I wanted to reside there (minus the whole plague and I was sold!) and just live in the fantasy world Ms. Meyer painted before me. The characters had my heart strings tied to them. The depth given into creating them and the realistic qualities present in them was astounding. I couldn't get enough of Cinder's snarky comments and her internal struggles made me push for her to succeed. I wanted Cinder to be happy because she was a character that deserved happiness, someone who went through horrible trials only to be beat down time and again by intrusions. Prince Kai was b-e-a-utiful in every sense of the word. He was a strong main love interest for Cinder, they were a match made in heaven. The badinage between them, the adorable surprise visits, the adorable lengths that he went to talk to her. He was royalty and she was a mechanic cyborg. I shipped these two so hard while reading.

All around, Cinder was fantastic. Some parts were easy to inference about towards the build up of the novel, but even with that I adored how Ms. Meyer played everything out. She took the paintbrush and glided across the canvas. This book was, again, a wonderful way to start off the new year!  

First Line: The screw through Cinder's ankle had rusted.

Love love love! All the targets, all of them!

7 comments :

The Sagacity Quest said...

I bought the first 5 chapters from Amazon for free; if I like it then I'll buy the book. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great review!

Inky said...

I love this book! So glad you like it to! Fab review!

Denice said...

You're a hundred percent right that there is nothing cooler that retelling Cinderella in a cyborg view... I also adore so much this book that because of this I now love Dystopian books... Of course, this is the first in the list... And the cover and the title really fits with the story!!! Great review!!!

Alyssa Susanna said...

I love this book! It is soooo cool! Cyborgs and Cinderella! I can't imagine how Ms. Meyer came up with that. And I love what the pumpkin was translated into the book... an old orange car! It's interesting to think that cars are no longer used in that world. Such an awesome book! I can't wait to read Scarlet! It's a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood... hmmm. lol. Thanks for the review!

Alysas Susanna

amairany ra said...

Cyborgs and princess? I´ve heard tons of amazing reviews about this book. I think it´s time for me to buy it.

Nora said...

I loved this one, too! So much fun, and such an original take on the fairy tale. Accurate review!

Alecia said...

I can't wait to begin this series after hearing all of the praise!! This sounds exactly like my type of book!

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers