Search this blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Review: Switched by Amanda Hocking

Published: January 3, 2012
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin 
Series: Trylle Trilogy #1
Young Adult
Pages: 293
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Challenge: Debut Author Challenge
When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy discovers her mother might have been right. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed - a world both beautiful and frightening, and Wendy's not sure she wants to be a part of it.


 *I received this book as a ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Switched was a breath of fresh air when talking a stroll in your typical paranormal fantasy wonderland. Using the unique characteristics of Troll's as the main gateway for this novel, Amanda Hocking executes this paranormal romance with flying colors.

When I picked up this novel I couldn't stand Wendy Everly. Her immature attitude with her finicky nature to those around her made things difficult in terms of connecting to her as a character and a person. Luckily, while the novel progressed so did her attitude, her thoughts, her beliefs. She was no Mary Sue and I liked that about her. 

The boys' in this novel, let me tell you! There's some spice in that coffee if you know what I mean (Woo, baby!). Ms. Hocking sets up a nice row of stunning male contenders in this novel each one that grasps certain strings of the heart. I can't wait to see how the love interest plays out in Wendy's world. I don't even think I can commit to a team!

Though Switched gives off a slow pace towards the beginning―the time taken to develop characters, relationships, and explain the mysterious world of Trylle―it picks up pace as the storyline progresses further along. I had been captivated by the world that Ms. Hocking created, the concepts of swapping children at birth, the monarchy, the terms pertaining to those living within their secluded world, nothing ceased to entertain me.

With a wonderful first book, Switched had me hook, line, and sinker until the very end. I await the release of the sequel.

First Line: A couple things made that day stand out more than any other: it was my sixth birthday, and my mother was wielding a knife.

Story: S

Cover: S

2 comments :

Denice said...

Oh... I haven't thought of Wendy as an immature person... But I agree with you that she develops her attitude as the story goes on... You should read all of the books cause they're wonderful... I'm really glad that it has a printed version now unlike the first time I read the trilogy, it was just an ebook... I tell you that the story will have a big twist...

Red Headed Bookworm said...

I just bought this book. Can't wait to read it. the cover is gorgeous!

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers