Search this blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

Review: Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday

Publication: October 11, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Young Adult
Pages: 303
Genre: Contemporary, Humor, Mystery, Realistic Fiction, Romance, Thriller

Hartley Grace Featherstone is having a very bad day. First she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with the president of the Herbert Hoover High School Chastity Club. Then he's pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And if that weren't enough, now he's depending on Hartley to clear his name. Seriously? Not cool. 

    But as much as Hartley wouldn't mind seeing him squirm, she knows he's innocent, and she's the only one who can help him. Along with her best friend, Sam, and the school's resident Bad Boy, Chase, Hartley starts investigating on her own. But as the dead bodies begin to pile up, the mystery deepens, the suspects multiply, and Hartley begins to fear that she may be the killer's next victim.
*This book was purchased by me at my local book store to read*

A cute read to the moon and back, I must say. With a drop-dead cover like that there was no way I could say no to picking it up. I lust over covers and I needed it on my shelf ASAP. Now the story was lovely to read. The voice of Hartley gave her depth, emotion, sarcasm up the wazoo, and had me wishing I could be her friend with the best in front. And if the first line of the book doesn't draw you in immediately, I don't know what will.

When opening the book I didn't know how I wanted the novel to end, it was sort of a go along for the ride kind of story with me. And I adored the ending. Though some parts of Deadly Cool had an air of cliche hitched upon the pages it didn't really muddle the story for me. Hartley took me away from that and kept the ball rolling. Never a dull moment for me as the reader or even Hartley as a character and I had to wonder when our loveable protag was going to get a break from all the crazy deaths and interviews that plopped out of the sky. 

Contemporary mystery novels have to be a new favorite of mine, they just rock all around. If you are a fan of Carrie Harris' style writing then you will adore Ms. Halliday's adorable tale with a twist of mystery murder. Check it out, there's nothing you can't handle in this simmering tale and I promise that a smile will sprout on your face at some point while reading! 

First Line: There are three things you never want to find in your boyfriend's locker: a sweaty jockstrap, a D minus on last week's history test, and an empty condom wrapper.
Story: S
Cover: XS

3 comments :

Anna said...

OMGOMGOMG I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH!!! It is absolutely one of my FAVORITES ever!!! I'm so excited to read Social Suicide :)

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

This has a really special cover and the book sounds great. I almost bought this a few weeks ago. Wish I'd gotten it though.

nurmawati djuhawan said...

this is a cool book and the cover is awesome...
i bougt from book depository but haven't read that :)

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers