Search this blog

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Review: The Edumacation of Jay Baker by Jay Clark


The Edumacation of Jay Baker by Jay Clark
Publication Date: January 31, 2012
Publisher: Henry Holt
Young Adult
Pages: 272
Genre: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction
Debut Author Challenge 2012
A few “sexy” bullet points about Jay: 

• He is in love with a cheerleader named Cameo “Appearance” Parnell 
• He is forever losing “Love-15” to tennis-playing goddess Caroline Richardson 
• He rocks a touché array of pop-culture references, jokes, and puns 
• His family-life cookie is about to crumble. 
Live vicariously through Jay as he faces off against his mortal enemy, gets awkward around his dream girl(s), loses his marbles in a Bermudian love triangle, watches his parents’ relationship implode, and, finally, learns to get real and be himself(ish)

*This galley was provided by the publisher for an honest review*

When I read about books that center (more or less) around divorce, a little voice in my head thinks that I will be able to compare to the character's feelings. But learning the reasons of the divorce of Jay's parents don't fit within the parameter of my life so the circles move away from each other only crossing in a few intersecting points. The emotions were definitely there for both Jay and I and truly that was how I connected with him. 

I liked this book but honestly, not as much as I wanted to. The quirky titles named after songs with Jay's own twists were adorable. It was fun in itself to figure out which songs where which and what portions were changed. That I definitely liked. If an author knows good music and puts it in the book, I'm revving to read. Not only music but when you have a snarky, intelligent, male character narrating a YA novel. There definitely should be more male protags in the YA population! Become a majority not a minority! 

The language used within the book set me off. With all the strange pet names and weird dialogue said by almost every character, it made it hard to realize what time period The Edumacation of Jay Baker was really set in. There were saying that just confused the hell out of me or had me rolling my eyes at points. Some of the references just flew right over my head so I guess that also didn't allow me to fall for the book like I had intended. 

Relationship wise, the strength between Jay and his sister Abby was my favorite throughout the whole thing. Not Jay and Cameo. Not Jay and Caroline. Jay and Abby. I love positive and humorous brother-sister relationships. I could feel the love radiate between the two when they were together and how Abby would always be there to help Jay when he was in need. 

I do recommend this to any pop culture, music buff, male protag seeking readers because this 2012 debut is right up your alley!

First Line: Mom and Dad were in their room with the door shut.

Three targets hilariously slayed

1 comment :

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

Nice review. I love reading about Male narrators. We do need more of that in YA.

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers