Search this blog

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Review: Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley


Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
Publication Date: February 14, 2012
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Young Adult
Pages: 272
Genre: Art, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Romance
Senior year is over, and Lucy has the perfect way to celebrate: tonight, she's going to find Shadow, the mysterious graffiti artist whose work appears all over the city. He's out there somewhere—spraying color, spraying birds and blue sky on the night—and Lucy knows a guy who paints like Shadow is someone she could fall for. Really fall for. Instead, Lucy's stuck at a party with Ed, the guy she's managed to avoid since the most awkward date of her life. But when Ed tells her he knows where to find Shadow, they're suddenly on an all-night search around the city. And what Lucy can't see is the one thing that's right before her eyes.
*Galley provided by the publisher for an honest review*

I had taken a Humanities course last year in my high school with the topic pertaining to Modernism. My favorite part of the course when when we were subjected to the world of Graffiti. Going to Five Points in NYC and seeing all the art that they wish to tear down and having a graffiti artist make something before my class's very eyes was exciting and absolutely enchanting. It's not like witnessing a Picasso but it has that existential forthcoming about it. 

The story was enjoyable, cute, and mystic in itself. Characters you just smile at when they stand next to each other and talk because they are just too adorable to even describe and sounds like "eep!" becomes the definition. The book was good, but not read-it-a-second-time good. The plot was quaint, the revitalization of art and expansion into the subgenre of graffiti definitely made Graffiti Moon an enjoyable and unique read in Young Adult. 

The hunt for Shadow and Poet, the most adorable names for graffiti artists I must say, lead to eventful and disastrous encounters. Right off the bat you're told who Shadow and Poet are and I really didn't know how that sat with me during the entire novel. It worked with the story but I see protocols like this numerously in novels. 

The graffiti aspects thrown into this novel proved to be a beautiful expansion from most contemporary novels today and that made Graffiti Moon an original contemporary romance in my eyes. Art lovers and romantics definitely should jump into the pages of this novel.

First Line: I pedal fast.


Four targets slayed in the name of art.

6 comments :

Amy said...

I have been trying to stick to my book buying ban, but this book is getting so many great reviews, I keep almost buying it. It really sounds like a fantastic book. Great review!

Sharmaine Chan said...

I think this book is amazing; Cath Crowley has a way with words. Evrything just sounds so right. And I do agree on the aspect of the graffitis; they're new t the contemporary genre and it's fresh. I also agree with the thing about art lovers, since I can say that I love art, this made a impact on me. Thanks for the review!

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

This one sounds interesting. Just the cover alone I would buy the book for. *-*
Great review!

andrea b said...

I always stop and stare when I see (good) graffiti on the street... but at the same time it's not something that I'm completely comfortable with (I kind of feel that way about most "modern" art)...

The great reviews that this book has been getting have totally convinced me that I need to read it though! It's on my TBR :D

nurmawati djuhawan said...

very interesting story....i think i have the ebooks...i'll read as soon as possible..thx 4 the review...it helped :)

Alecia said...

I fell in love with this book on my first read and still love it today after a few re-reads. This book was very beautiful and so unique. It's definitely one of my favs. Great review!

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers