Search this blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Review: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews


Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews
Publication Date: March 1, 2012
Publisher: Amulet Books
Stand Alone Novel
Young Adult
Pages: 304
Genre: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction
Challenge: Debut Author Challenge 2012

Seventeen-year-old Greg has managed to become part of every social group at his Pittsburgh high school without having any friends, but his life changes when his mother forces him to befriend Rachel, a girl he once knew in Hebrew school who has leukemia.
*Galley was provided by publisher for an honest review*


Can I give you a hug, Mr. Andrews? Because this novel was simply the most glorious, hilarious, realistic piece of work that had me captivated with fits of laughter and rivers of tears flooding my eyes, whether out of happiness or sadness depended on the section of the novel. And that cover! That piece of gorgeous needs to be on my shelf, pronto!

Now to the review:

A cancer story that doesn't really rely on cancer as its premise. The hilarity that Jesse Andrews is able to spark and the layers this book emits allows for the laughs and some tears to drip. Now Greg isn't your average male protagonist. He's not "popular," he's not "good-looking," and he's not (that much of an) "asshole" (at times). He's genuine and realistic. Someone I've been waiting to emerge in YA, especially the main male lead. Literally I have been WAITING for someone like Greg. Earl, too. The profane and brash atmosphere their friendship gives off and the realistic characteristics, appearances, households.

Film making. Greg and Earl over the years of their friendship gained a common bond over one movie ultimately setting their course towards a dampened road of success and creation that their own eyes will witness. Until Rachel, Greg's ex-girlfriend from Hebrew School whom he was a complete dick to in the end, gets diagnosed with Leukemia and he is forced, by his mother, to become friends and help console in her time of need. Everything leads back to the art of film making with Greg, and ultimately him and Earl show Rachel their third rate videos.  

I really don't know how many more words I can reiterate for awesome because really that is what this book is made out of. If you're looking for a light read filled with comic relief then take a load off, jump onto that couch, and nuzzle yourself up to Me and Earl and the Dying Girl because you won't regret it. Not one moment. I promise you a whole year of cupcakes! C;


First Line: I have no idea how to write this stupid book.
Four targets slayed for hilarious film making and a fantastic male lead.

3 comments :

Jess said...

I've heard mixed reviews about this book, but it really interest me because it seems so different from a lot of YA novels. I can't wait to check this out.

Cindy (Oodles of Books) said...

This is the first time I've ever heard of this and it sounds great! Your glowing review makes me want to pick it up now. Looking forward to checking it out :)

Jackie's Little World said...

I've got this one coming up soon on my list and now I can't wait to read it :) Great review!

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers