Search this blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Publication Date: April 24, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen 
Series: Blood of Eden #1
Young Adult
Pages: 504
Genre: Dystopian, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.
Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.
But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.
*Galley provided by publisher for an honest review*

If there is one thing that I can expect from Julie Kagawa, it's a kickass story with the same qualities of kickass with a main protagonist and I love it!

--"In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."--

When faced with the choice of a human death or to remain alive but Turned into a vampire, the very beings that Allison has learned to hate for years on end, she chooses the one choice: to live. Struggling to keep her humanity straight, Allison journeys along the path as a newly born vampire in a society that shuns her and an old world that fears her while she tries to come to terms and accept who she's become or to dwell in her past human life and diverge from the demon she'd become.

Action. The one thing that will keep me interested in a novel and Ms. Kagawa doesn't fail to keep it short or sweet but fluid and long lasting. Every moment was a ride, progressing forward from Allison's point of view as she struggles within a world as well as within herself. That's what makes he wonderful, so complex, so riveting. I often feel bad for her, to hate the beings for stripping her mother from her and ultimately choose to become one in order to escape death. I feel bad for the friends that she lost and the fact that she has to hide who she has truly become in order to maintain that sense of humanity, a remembrance of her old self while masking the new one within. Allison is definitely a character to behold. Witty, crafty, sharp-tongued, and killer with a katana.

In the beginning of the novel there is quite a bit of an information dump as Allison begins her new life as a vampire and just the absorption of the information took me a little bit to space out and comprehend. That was the only thing that stood out for me as a kink in the novel. The world that Ms. Kagawa created was wonderfully scripted and destructive world. Not only that but after reading vampire book after vampire book I finally got to read the pure and evil essence of the creatures: the bloodsuckers that feed, hunt, defile. Not. Sparkle. And I loved it. Thank you!

The Immortal Rules is a wonderful first installment to the Blood of Eden series and something that everyone should pick up off the shelves because it does not disappoint. Not in the slightest.

First Line: They hung the Unregistereds in the wold warehouse district; it was a public execution, so everyone went to see.
Story: S
Cover: S

13 comments :

Giselle said...

Awesome review chick I'm super excited to read this one soon. The reviews are insane and it sounds right up my alley with a great world and lots of action! Yes please! :D It'll also be my first book by Julie so I'm curious!

Christina Kit. said...

I love that first line!!

I'm sure Julie Kagawa's take on vampire lore is totally unique:)

Thanks for this great review:)

Tal said...

Great review!
I'm really excited to read this soon! :D

Stephanie Verhaegen said...

Great review!
I'm going to read this soon I'm really excited!

REBECCA@ReadingWishes said...

Won myself a copy, just waiting or it to arrive. Great review, so glad you liked it!

Astri Nasthasia Videlia said...

ahhh.. Yeaahh.. I knew I will like this Book..

fisrt time I saw the Cover.. I said "I would LOVE this One" .. now I read your review.. hmm.. make mo more curious with this book..

great giveaway...!! ^^

Belgie said...

The Immortal Rules tells the story of Allison Sekemoto living in a future where most of the human population was killed by a disease called Red Lung. But that's not the only problem. Vampires now rule their world and have caused the human race to become their pets, scavengers, and monsters themselves. And let's not forget about the Rabids that stalk the earth just waiting to take a bite or two out of a human. Allison hate vampires, but when faced with the choice of death or becoming that which she has always loathed, she chooses the latter. When she flees from New Covington, Allie runs into a group of humans. She decides to travel with them, hiding her true nature from them as they travel searching for Eden (and yes, there are Christian themes in the book), a human city not ruled by vampires. She's always thought being a human was hard, but she quickly learns that being a vampire isn't exactly a walk in the park either, especially when you're wanted.

ahandfulofconfetti said...

I got to read an e-galley of this one, and really enjoyed it. I thought it was a solid start to the series, and used the idea of vampirism in an interesting way. Great review! I pretty much agree with everything you've said (particularly the bit about vampires that don't sparkle :D).

Katharyn Vela said...

I loved this book so much! A friend loaned it to me awhile ago and I finished it in two days! I loved reading about an action vampire finally. I loved reading a story not focused on love interests!

Lisaa said...

I just got a copy of this book yesterday and I'm sooo glad I bought it,it sounds amazing!! Awesome review :D

Rebecca Hipworth said...

Everyone seems to adore this book and yet I'm the only one who has yet to read it. I need to change that! This will be my first book my Miss Kagawa. Thanks for the review. :)

Alyssa Susanna said...

I've had this book for a while. I haven't read it yet because I've been so behind in reading! I've seen a lot of positive reviews and a lot of negative reviews for this book. I'm sorry you didn't like it. Since someone bought it for me, and I own it, I'm going to read it. I'm kind of exhausted wit the vampires, but apparently Julie Kagawa knows what she's doing (I haven't read The Iron Fey series!). Thanks for the review!

Alyssa Susanna

Nora said...

I loved this book! A real roller-coaster, right? I'm actually reading the third one now. All the feels. ALL THE FEELS.

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers