Search this blog

Friday, June 1, 2012

Review: Flirting in Italian by Lauren Henderson

Publication Date: June 12, 2012
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Series: Flirting in Italian #1
Young Adult
Pages: 336
Genre: Contemporary, Romance

Four girls. One magical, and possibly dangerous Italian summer. Family mysteries, ancient castles, long hot nights of dancing under the stars . . . and, of course, plenty of gorgeous Italian boys!
*Galley provided by publisher for an honest review*


I've said before that I love all things Italian, especially since I am Italian myself, so I thought that I'd enjoy this contemporary taking place in Italy with some delicious Italian studs to go along.

This book did not live up to the expectations that I wished. A DNF in my case. Yes the Italian boys are hot. Yes the villa sounds beautiful beyond compare. But when I go over a hundred pages wondering when the mystery of the whole painting comes back into play, the whole main reason why Violet takes her trip to Italy in the first place, set me off kilter and failed to bring my hopes back for the book. 

That wasn't the only problem that I had. The whole comparison between the British girls and the American girls made me mad. I'm not British, but the whole fashion darwinism that was going back and forth in Violet's view point towards the American teenagers made me set the book aside and come back to it at a later date. As well as the Italian daughter of their host mother, her snobby attitude and horrid demeanor towards the girls felt unnecessary.

This just wasn't my cup of tea. Anyone wanting to give it a try can do so as they wish. For the love of Italy and Italian boys, the choice is yours.

First Line: The picture in front of me is like a magnet, drawing me closer and closer, till my shoulder is nearly brishing against its antique gold carved frame.
Story: C
Cover: B

8 comments :

Evie said...

Exactly my issue with this book. It felt as if the author started off thinking it's going to be a stand alone and then after 50-something pages decided to drag it out into a trilogy. I wanted more of the mystery, I wanted the main character to focus on the painting (which, after all, was the ONLY reason for her to even be there!), and I just didn't dig the whole got-Italian-boy thing at all. I thought Luca was arrogant and unlikeable. Ugh! But it still was quite a readable book, so yeah, I think I finished it and gave it 3 stars. Wished it was more gripping, tho!

Monica G Lopez said...

That bad, huh? Looks like you didn't like the characters ...plot seemed to be there but didn't show up sooner or stay, correct? Ah, it doesn't sound like my kind of read then. I'm a plot-person :)

REBECCA@ReadingWishes said...

My first impression was: This book looks awesome. Like a cross between Anna and the French Kiss and Beach Blondes (full of mystery and excitement and awesome but the following in the series were total duds). I was TOTALLY excited but then I read the reviews and I know I should be the one to try it and make my own decision but I was COMPLETELY turned off by what people were saying. No interest at all. Disappointing and it's sad to see your yet another reader who didn't enjoy it as much as they had been anticipating!

Shortskie said...

It had a good start, I was captivated by the whole panting thing but she just never mentioned it again after everything. And yeah Evie, Luca was extremely arrogant and he had me turning my nose away and had me wondering what Violet liked about him. Oh well. It's over and done with.

Cindy said...

Aww, I'm sad to read this one didn't work out for you. I thought it sounded cute but it might not be my cup of tea either. I might give it a shot in the future, but maybe not. Thanks for the honest review :)

smallgirl said...

I've been kind of tempted to read this after reading the synopsis, and the cover makes it seem like a fun contemporary romance, but I've read some less than positive things about it lately, so I might have to pass. I dislike it when books are dragged out into trilogies when there's absolutely no need! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this one, hope your next read is better! :)

elena said...

Yes, I thought this looked like a cute read but yours is not the first lackluster review I've read about this book. I think I'm going to give this one a pass. :|

Dian Aesha said...

o..o..this is not good ??? but iam very corious with the stiry,,maybe i can trying for reading..
thanks for the riview..

Post a Comment

Courtney @ Storybook Slayers