Search this blog

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Review: Team Human by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan

Publication Date: July 3, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Stand Alone Novel
Young Adult
Pages: 344
Genre: Paranormal

Just because Mel lives in New Whitby, a city founded by vampires, doesn't mean she knows any of the blood-drinking undead personally. They stay in their part of town; she says in hers. Until the day a vampire shows up at her high school. Worse yet, her best friend, Cathy, seems to be falling in love with him. It's up to Mel to save Cathy from a mistake she might regret for all eternity
On top of trying to help Cathy (whether she wants it or not), Mel is investigating a mysterious disappearance for another friend and discovering the attractions of a certain vampire wannabe. Combine all this with a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, and the occasional zombie, and soon Mel is hip-deep in an adventure that is equal parts hilarious and touching.
Acclaimed authors Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan team up to create a witty and poignant story of cool vampires, warm friendships, and the changes that test the bonds of love.
*Advanced Reader's Copy provided by publisher and Julie Cross for members of the Perfect Ten*

You would think I'd stop reading vampire books after I, time and again, rant about how I do not enjoy the explosion of the trend. Well, Team Human is a vampire book that I'm really glad that I read. It was a vampire book that made me laugh constantly and I really needed a comedic but adorable read in this category.

Mel happens to be the epitome of hilarious. Every thought, every parentheses, every sly remark towards Francis. I was smiling and snickering and giggling. She is a female character that dominates many other main female characters. Taking on the role of best friend protector, because Friends don't let friends date vampires. and also helping figure out a fathers mysterious disappearance with a female vampire patient, Mel had her hands full, especially with a name like her parents gave her, I wouldn't blame her. She's strong, loyal, stubborn, and always pursues a full-through on her actions. She's a friend who cares. And that's what I really like about Mel.

Kit was absolutely adorable I can tell you that much. With his day of firsts at the beach. The adorable meter just rose when he entered the story. I loved him and Mel and the places they went and the things they saw and how Kit learned to drive with one foot on the break and one foot on the gas. It was just hysterical.

The storyline was engaging and enticing. I fell in love with the book from the very first chapter and I knew that Team Human was going to be a book I would very much enjoy. I mean how could I not? A mysterious disappearance, a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, the occasional zombie (I do love my zombies) . . . Please, this book was went to be in my hands. Never once was I bored, some parts I was able to make sound conjectures and knew the outcome of some mysteries and actions, but I enjoyed the book none the less!

Final Summation: Team Human definitely had me giggling and engaged in nonstop reading for the past few days. If you need a laugh or a wake-up call on the vampire hype or something to satisfy all all the dystopians you've been reading lately, then I definitely recommend this book, to everyone!

First Line: I wasn't feeling very enthused about education the day the vampire came to school.
Story: XS
Cover: A