Search this blog

Monday, July 2, 2012

Blog Tour (Interview): The Mayfair Moon by J. A. Redmerski

Publication Date: January 6, 2012
Self-published
Series: The Darkwoods Trilogy
Young Adult
Pages: 352
Genre: Paranormal, Romance


After a nightmarish encounter with a werewolf, seventeen-year-old Adria Dawson loses her sister, but gains the love of a mysterious young man and his legendary family.
     Strange and tragic things begin to happen in the small town of Hallowell, Maine: residents come down with an unexplainable ‘illness’ and some disappear. In the midst of everything, Isaac Mayfair is adamant about keeping Adria safe, even from her sister whom he has warned her to stay away from.
     As unspeakable secrets unfold all around Adria, impossible choices become hers to bear. Ultimately, no matter what path she takes, her life and the lives of those she loves will be in peril. As she learns about the werewolf world she also learns why her place in it will change the destinies of many.
*Interview with the author*

*** 

"Gorgeous new cover for The Mayfair Moon, what was your initial reaction when it was revealed?"
JR: Thanks, Courtney! Glad you like it! Yeah, I fell in love with it when I saw it and thought it really gave a new life to the story and the characters.

"While writing, what happened to be your toughest experience so far?"
JR: The toughest experience for me when it comes to writing anything is getting past the first about three chapters, or so. I’m really impatient and at chapters one, two and three I tend to focus too much on how much I have left to write. But eventually I get over that. 

"I am a music buff, and a band geek physically and at heart, so I have to ask this question: Do you listen to music while your write? And if you do, could you list some songs that helped inspire you to write or contribute to the making of The Mayfair Moon?"
JR: I never listen to music while I write – I have to have complete quiet – but I do have several CD’s I made full of music that I’ve sort of dubbed The Mayfair Moon soundtrack. So, usually I’m driving down the street thinking about scenes in my books. Some songs that inspired scenes in The Mayfair Moon are Arcana – Wings of Gabriel, Evanescence – Bring Me to Life and Godsmack – Serenity.

"One thing that you could not live without?"
JR: Just one? Ahh! Alright, well I’d have to say my Kindle full to capacity with books!

"Favorite quote? Favorite quote from your novel?"
JR: “Love is a trick that Nature pulls on us to get us to reproduce.” – Callisto – Xena: warrior Princess From my novel? Honestly, I don’t know! Maybe you could tell me? ;-)

"Advice for the aspiring authors out there?"
JR: Never let anyone, or the ‘subjective’ business make you feel like you can’t write, or that you weren’t meant to write because you’re only proving them correct if you quit. I’ve been writing since the age of thirteen and I sucked for a long time because you know what, we all start out sucking. We don’t go into writing knowing everything there is to know, we go into it because it’s what we love to do. And it takes a long time to learn everything. YEARS. If you love to write, prove to the world and to yourself that you will take any criticisms with respect, you’ll never let bad reviews get you down and you will NEVER QUIT. Without bad criticism, you can never hone your skill. You’ll never get anywhere!

"Can you describe The Mayfair Moon in ten words or less?"
JR: Serious YA paranormal literature that crosses into the adult audience.

"Me being a writer myself, I tend to just hit the ground running when ideas spring inside my head. What is your writing process like?"
JR: I’m kind of like you, honestly. And when I start something new I just dive right in, often just with a character name. I rarely use outlines or anything like that (except on second, third and beyond books in a series that I’ve already established a solid storyline with in book one) and just roll with it. And a lot of the time I don’t know what’s going to happen in the next chapter, who I’m going to introduce, or where I’m going with it. For me, the story often just reveals itself to me along the way. It’s usually not until over halfway through that I know where everything is going.

"Biggest pet peeve in writing?"
JR: I hate writing description. I’m a dialogue junkie because it just feels like it flows more naturally for me. I have to really think about it when I’m writing description and I get frustrated.

"What's your favorite musical? Favorite movie?"
JR: I’ve never been too big on musicals, but I really did like Sweeny Todd with Johnny Depp. Favorite movie? I can’t choose one! It’s between ALL of the Harry Potter movies and The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

"How did you feel at the conclusion of this novel? When that very last punctuation was put in it's place?"
JR: Absolute relief and exhilaration! There is really nothing quite like finishing a novel. It’s one of the best feelings in the world.

***

*Thank you so much for stopping by today, Jessica!*