Search this blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Review: Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Publication Date: February 7, 2012
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile 
Series: The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1
Young Adult
Pages: 330
Genre: Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Paranormal, Romance
Goodreads | Amazon
Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.
Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.
If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.
The cover on this book is gorgeous, no? When I started into Born Wicked I didn't think I was going to like it because of the way that it dragged. I was trudging through page after page until something happened and clicked and I started to really get into the story and soon I couldn't stop reading. If that click didn't happen, I don't think I would have finished the novel.

The Cahill sisters are witches. No one can know. If word gets out, the Brotherhood will come after them and you don't want to know the rest. But Cate is doing everything she can after her mother died to keep her sister's powers under control as well as her own.


Cate's determination to keep her sister's safe never falters in the book, and the itching to learn about her mother's past and more about her witch powers is engrossing, besides the romance of course. The little love triangle is something that I'm able to shove aside because Cate is a fabulous and strong character who is able to decided where her hear should go in the end and that makes up for the pet peeve the cursed shape brings out within me. I happen to be team Finn by the by.


I haven't been one for witch novels but Jessica Spotswood's novel made me fall in love with the setting, the world, and the gorgeous Finn. I was even surprised during most parts, Spotswood is great at keeping things a secret and ultimately revealing them, always keeping me on my toes while reading. And I have to say, with an ending like this one, I am dying to get book two!


Final Summation: Even with a rocky start, Born Wicked is definitely an amazing novel to take off the shelf and read. I was even happy to meet Jessica herself and get my novel signed by her. Might I say, she has the cutest handwriting ever. Anywho, for anyone looking for an interesting take on setting and need a witch book to read, this is the novel for you!


First Line: Our mother was a witch, too, but she hid it better.
Story: S
Cover: XS