Search this blog

Friday, July 27, 2012

Review: Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

Publication Date: May 8, 2012
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Series: Struck #1
Young Adult
Pages: 373
Genre: Dystopian, Paranormal
Goodreads | Amazon
Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.
Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.
Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.


*Digital galley provided by publisher for an honest review*

Struck took me in with the introduction to the reader. A lightning addict? Okay, sign me up!

Mia has a sure-fire, captivating voice that really grew on me. And I knew that I was going to like her up until the lightning survivors start to assemble and Jeremy, mystery boy and the love interest, come into Mia's life. Her actions enacted for a barrier to come between her and me and made trying to connect difficult. The relationship between Mia and Jeremy, it was lingering on the lines of insta-love and I didn't understand what was so attractive or pulling towards him. She decides to listen to him, a boy she knows nothing about and the guy who happens to be stalking her house among other things, too. I couldn't really find much of a personality to consider him suitable as the male lead.

The lightning happens to give extraordinary powers to those it happens to strike and leave surviving with scars. The only think I didn't understand, and wish I knew more about, was how the lightning really granted these powers and how and why they differed from each survivor. I would have loved there to be more of an explanation rather than leaving me to conjectures or just pushing it off meaninglessly.

Final Summation: An interesting take on a paranormal dystopian, but I just wish that there wasn't that hint of insta-love going on and if there was some more details and explanations I would have really enjoyed this book. I will read the next book that comes out in this series, but I would like more things to be explained throughout.

First Line: When you've been struck by lightning as many times as I have, you start expecting the worst pretty much all the time.
Story: A
Cover: S