Search this blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Review: Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Publication Date: July 3, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
Stand Alone Novel
Young Adult
Pages: 304
Genre: Retelling, Romance

Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair. . . .
Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily doesn't believe in love stories or happy endings. Then she meets the alluring teenage Peter Pan in the forbidden woods of Neverland and immediately falls under his spell.
Peter is unlike anyone she's ever known. Impetuous and brave, he both scares and enthralls her. As the leader of the Lost Boys, the most fearsome of Neverland's inhabitants, Peter is an unthinkable match for Tiger Lily. Soon, she is risking everything--her family, her future--to be with him. When she is faced with marriage to a terrible man in her own tribe, she must choose between the life she's always known and running away to an uncertain future with Peter.
With enemies threatening to tear them apart, the lovers seem doomed. But it's the arrival of Wendy Darling, an English girl who's everything Tiger Lily is not, that leads Tiger Lily to discover that the most dangerous enemies can live inside even the most loyal and loving heart.
Tiger Lily happens to be my new favorite 2012 read. Instantly I was captivated by the writing style Jodi Lynn Anderson has to offer. It's beautifully descriptive and poetically smooth, I took in the pages, never wanting to let them go.

The book was told from Tinker Bell's point of view, and I found the angle to be a rather different take, and she made for an interesting narrator. Tiger Lily grew on me from her entrance. She's strong and brave, something girls from her tribe are looked down upon being. But Tiger Lily stood out from the rest and the tale of how she became "The girl with the crow feather in her hair" was eerily enchanting. My emotions grew around Tiger Lily because I wanted the world to be gifted to her character, and all who've read or seen Peter Pan, know that the world is not what Tiger Lily is allowed to have. But the ending did leave me with a smile, and I grew equivocally happy as she did.


Peter Pan, I did fall for Anderson's rendition of the immortal boy. He was charming and stubborn, headstrong but lonesome and I just wanted to shove Tiger Lily and Peter together and wrap them in an unbinding bow. The supporting character that I really liked knowing about was Smee. His back story really chilled my bones and I kept wanting to know what was going on with him throughout the novel. Captain Hook drew me in as well. The only ones that I couldn't connect with and I failed to really regard were the Lost Boys. They fell flat for me and I didn't bother learning their names or even wanted to read their dialogue. But, out of all the supporting characters, Tick Tok touched my heart and I loved him and his unique touch to this story and to Tiger Lily's life. 


Final Summation: Overall, I truly enjoyed this novel like I knew I would. I happened to hype this book up and it didn't fail me. The Lost Boys could have used some work, but other than that, all the characters fit snugly together in this story and I felt the emotions pour out from me and onto the pages the more I read the story of Tiger Lily. I definitely recommend this to any lover of Peter Pan, because this retelling is a beautiful masterpiece.


First Line: She stands on the cliffs, near the old crumbling stone house.
Story: XS
Cover: XS