Search this blog

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl by Louise Rozett

Publication Date: August 28, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Series: Confessions #1
Young Adult
Pages: 272
Genre: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Romance
Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has someconfessions to make.
…1. I'm 
livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate,don't you?
2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is nowenraged and out for blood. Mine.

3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)

(Sorry. That was rude.)
*Digital galley provided by publisher for an honest review*

Adding this one to my favorites list. Confessions of an Angry Girl really does justice as a contemporary novel. The realistic characters, the constant motion of the story, the tension buildup between relationships, the list is endless. I just really liked reading this book! It was like a nice hard pretzel dipped in smooth, creamy nutella. Delicious.

The synopsis really triggered my want of this novel. It's quirky, it's funny, and it has voice. Rosie's voice. She does not disappoint while reading. Mad at the world and with a reason that I couldn't complain about, Rosie is an easy character to relate to even if you haven't been in the same position as her. We all get angry, all of us. She does have the freshmen tendencies like swooning over Jamie Forta, but I guess I would, too. Only while he's with Rose, though. When he's with Regina, his cheerleader girlfriend (a little cliched in my mind), my thoughts on him are another story.

The writing was paced just right. Rosie's voice was captivating and hilariously witty. I understood her anger towards the word and towards the people at her school. Especially Regina. But some of the realistic aspects of the novel made me cock my head to the side, confused. There's one part of the book where Rosie goes with her wanting-to-have-sex-with-her-boyfriend obsessed best friend Tracy to planned parenthood in order for her to go on the pill. But while she's there Rose made an appointment to see a gynecologist. Red Flag! In my mind I was saying: "What is a fourteen/fifteen-year-old girl doing making an appointment at the OB/GYN without an adult, not even eighteen, and never had sex? Does not compute." Usually the age to see your GYN is eighteen or when you first start having sex. Usually minors are accompanied with an adult because they're, you know, minors. That was the only part that really had me making a face because I didn't find it very realistic. Because Rosie was none of the above.

Final Summation: Confessions of an Angry Girl really is something. My hype for this book was not put down (except that one little part mentioned above) and I loved Rosie's flawed persona. Cannot wait to pick up my own copy and shove on my shelf. And I am dying to read the second book, Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend, after the end that Ms. Rozett left! 

First Lines: This, dear reader, is a tale of the hell of high school.
Story: S
Cover: S