Search this blog

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Review: The Paladin Prophecy by Mark Frost

Publication Date: September 25, 2012
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Series: The Paladin Prophecy #1
Young Adult
Pages: 560
Genre: Fantasy
Will West is careful to live life under the radar. At his parents’ insistence, he’s made sure to get mediocre grades and to stay in the middle of the pack on his cross-country team. Then Will slips up, accidentally scoring off the charts on a nationwide exam.
Now Will is being courted by an exclusive prep school . . . and is being followed by men driving black sedans. When Will suddenly loses his parents, he must flee to the school. There he begins to explore all that he’s capable of—physical and mental feats that should be impossible—and learns that his abilities are connected to a struggle between titanic forces that has lasted for millennia.

*Digital galley provided by publisher for an honest review*

Will West is a genius told to dumb it down and remain low because there is danger lurking after him. He's moved countless times and his abides by rules that his father set forth and lives off of them like its his bible. Will was a character that I liked, he was smart (obviously), funny, but quite pompous and reminded me of a young and modern Sherlock Holmes in a way. But Will was the only thing about the book that I could really watch and connect with while the entirety of the situation he was in and the background details left me confused.

While I wanted to keep reading for Will's sake and for his adoring persona and wanting to find out what the "Paladin Prophecy", the reason why the title got it's name, was or the reason why Will was in danger from the get-go, I was just bored with what was going on and I couldn't connect with the book, making me confused and glide through the pages forgetting what I had just previously read. Also, the intake of characters left me dazed and overwhelmed.

Final Summation: While this wasn't the book for me, I have read countless reviews that raved over the book. I'm sure others will think so too, but The Paladin Prophecy just wasn't enough to keep me entertained and heal my confusion, leaving me to put the book down.

First Line: I couldn't see his face.
Story: C
Cover: A