Search this blog

Monday, August 20, 2012

Review: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Publication Date: January 2, 2012
Publisher: Poppy/Little Brown
Stand Alone Novel
Young Adult
Pages: 236
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.
A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?
Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.
*Purchased*

Definitely a cute and quirky novel. I read it a little while ago, back when it came out actually, but never gotten the time to sit down and just review this novel. So now, after running it over in my head for months, I will finally get this review started.

Hadley is off to go to her dad's second wedding in London, and missed her flight. There she meets Oliver, cute and British to boot, and with luck they're on the same flight. I enjoyed reading this story. Upon losing track on the Airport, Hadley is downcast on not getting to say good-bye to this amazing boy who she really connected to, and he connected with. I also really enjoyed the duration of this novel, a whole twenty-four hours. It was different from what I usually read in contemporary novels.

Now the relationship in this book was sweet, like something a Disney Pixar movie would have. It's not insta-love in the way that the characters are going "you're my soul mate," or "there's nobody but you," and the works. I'm not even going to rate this novel as isnta-love because it really isn't in my eyes. I've met people before and really made a connection with, someone that I wanted to know better. I've lost track with them before and I found them by putting pieces together, just like Hadley. I didn't go the extremes like she did, but I was still like Hadley all the same.

Final Summation: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, I love that title, is definitely a cute romance. Leaving the reader with twists and turns, fighting for the two to meet again, you just can't not want Hadley and Oliver to meet again. A sweet, satisfying love story, though only takes a day, makes you feel like the characters have known each other for years.

First Line: There are so many ways it could have all turned out differently.
Story: S
Cover: S