Search this blog

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Review: The Little Woods by McCormick Templeman

Publication Date: July 10, 2012
Publisher: Schwartz & Wade
Stand Alone Novel
Young Adult
Pages: 336
Genre: Mystery

Are the woods behind St. Bede's Academy really haunted, or does bad stuff just happen there? When Calista Wood, a new student, arrives midway through her junior year, St. Bede's feels like a normal school . . . until she discovers that a girl had disappeared a couple of months earlier. Some kids think she ran away, others think she was murdered, but it's only when Cally starts digging around that she finds the startling truth.
Watch as Cally enters a world of privilege, weekend-long parties, high school romances, and . . . well-kept secrets. This page-turner will appeal to teens looking for a fast-paced thriller. Written in a voice at once gripping and crystal clear, debut novelist, McCormick Templeman, will take readers on a twisting and turning journey as only a "new girl" can experience.
*Digital galley provided by publisher for an honest review*

Mystery and thrillers are tough books for me to get into, not because I don't like the genre, I enjoy a good thriller or mystery for that matter, it's just that The Little Woods failed to really get me into the story and what really failed to do so was the characters.

Good character development is a major factor that drives a book home. Cally, our main character, was one that I couldn't find myself connecting with, couldn't find myself wanting to know about her story. Getting a feel of who she is was difficult with her personality. A barrier between me, the reader, and her was set through the entirety of the novel and I just couldn't enjoy the book while knowing that I didn't know anything about the main character. Twists and turns aside. The lack of connection just didn't make this book anything for me to like or remember, and I wish that there was something or someone that I could have enjoyed reading about but there wasn't. It was a plot oriented book with paper cutouts of characters.

Final Summation: For a mystery novel The Little Woods does entertain in some aspects but the fact that I couldn't connect with any of the characters, especially the main character, everything else in the book fell flat for me.

First Line: The last time I saw my sister we played hide-and-seek.
Story: B
Cover: A