Search this blog

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Review: Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Publication Date: August 28, 2012
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Series: Defiance #1
Young Adult
Pages: 403
Genre: Fantasy, Dystopian, Romance, Science Fiction
Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan--the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city's top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor's impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.
*Digital copy provided by publisher for an honest review*

Anticipation and hype brought me to picking up Defiance. The synopsis sounded interesting to say the least, so why the heck wouldn't I pick it up and try to see what all the talk was about. Noticing how many people have read this so far and also noticing that C.J. Redwine is a debut author, I felt that I should see what this author has to show, what kind of a story she is telling.


Almost 30% in on my kindle, I grew bored of Defiance. I found myself lazily skimming through the chapters, not fully reading all paragraphs, trying to find dialogue to keep some sort of interest. It was a story that didn't do it for me.



Character wise, it was a let down. Rachel fell flat, like cardboard in the wind. Her views on Logan confused me, going from hate tolerance in just a few short chapters, she is reckless and really has not voice but that of a whiny character over the disappearance/death of her father. I understand that she is in the right to be this way, but how she handles the overwhelming information, how the whole thing is executed just turned my attention away. I just found myself not wanting to read about her. Logan, Rachel's overseer after her father's death, I did not like. Arrogant and absolutely mean, not to mention violent, in thought and action towards Rachel aggravated me and had me putting the book down. All in all, the characters were one of two reasons for my choice of not finishing.



The other reason is world-building. I found it insufficient. Baalboden, the city that is surrounded by walls, a ruthless leader, and laws if broken are punishable by death, is very cliched in my opinion of most dystopian-esque YA novels. I could never figure out what sort of time period C.J. Redwine's world was meant to be set in. The technology gave it a sci-fi tone but the actions and dialogue sounded very formal and such, and I was just confused in this aspect. I was hoping for a more concrete and innovative world, but sadly I was let down in this novel.



Final Summation: Defiance fell flat with character development and world-building. Though most people enjoyed this novel, I could not find anything really enjoyable about it. I was bored while reading and couldn't find the energy in me to keep reading.


First Line: The weight of their pity is like a stone tied about my neck.
Story: DNF
Cover: S