Search this blog

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Review: The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa

Publication Date: April 30, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Series: Blood of Eden #2
Young Adult
Pages: 446
Genre: Paranormal, Romance


Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

     Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.
*Digital galley provided by Harlequin Teen for an honest review*
*If you have not read THE IMMORTAL RULES, please do not read ahead. This review contains minor spoilers*

I have yet to find myself disappointed with Julie Kagawa's work. I loved The Immortal Rules, but The Eternity Cure really does pack one heck of a punch. I found it to be even better than the last. How many sequels can you say that about? No matter where Kagawa goes with her novels I'm just helplessly entranced not only by her writing, but the connection that her characters have on me. The Eternity Cure, I have fallen head over heels for you.

One thing that you can count on with The Eternity Cure is the recap of the last novel. Even though I read the novel back in the summer, Kagawa just launches into the story but also provides details about the people Allison traveled with to Eden, the struggle she had been going through, the fight with the Hunger. It's short. It's sweet. And it does justice to spark the memory all the way back from the summer. I had absolutely no problem starting this sequel like I usually do with many. It was a gentle ease of the past colliding straight into the present where Allison is running around looking for Kanin in order to save him. At the snap of Kagawa's fingers, I was hooked.

So we are left off with Allison leaving the remainder of Zeke's group in Eden after the tragic deaths of many good friends. Having taken off after not being allowed to stay in the human sanctuary, Allison isn't all too discouraged since she is still on the search for her sire, Kanin. Only after gaining in on a signal, Alison comes into contact with an old, and unwanted character and gains a "weary ally" in the confrontation. But it's a race against the clock, because The Red Lung virus is on an outbreak and now Allie is struggling with finding her sire, having to stop a disastrous virus from running rampant, and find a crazy vampire that wants her and her sire dead.  

The character development of Allison was a crucial part of The Eternity Cure. In the first novel, Allison goes through the struggles of the vampiric change and the fight to hold onto the human inside of her. In the second novel, Alison has begun to work on balancing out the monster and the human within her, having recognized the creature that she chose to become rather than rejecting it. Even though she doesn't fully agree with completely becoming a monster, Allison proves that there is more to being a vampire, that you do have a choice to make and the past or other's choices don't necessarily mean that she has to become a creature that she hates. I never doubted my liking for Allison for a second. She's adventurous, courageous and intuitive. She can let her emotions get the better of her sometime, but that proves overall that the human she was never did die during the change.

Character bonding between Allie and the Raider King really does bring out a new found respect for him. Even the moment when is real name had been revealed, I knew that there was so much more about this character that I wanted to know about immediately. I wanted the satisfaction of understanding more about why he had done the things he did beyond what what provided as an answer within the text. I wanted Julie Kagawa to make a POV novella about how his conflicts as a vampire. I craved more.

Having the group travel back to New Covington and the Fringe made the corners of my lips rise. A blast from the past always makes for an exciting tale, especially when you're going back to where it all began. It also happens to make for a great spot to be reminded of all that happened in the first book, for those emotions and memories to really trigger. New Covington was where it all started, but is definitely not where it is all going to end. Or is it? Maybe Ms. Kagawa will prove me false in the final installment.

Speaking of surprises: the ending? I had an inkling, but I couldn't not say that I wasn't shocked by it anyway. Context clues my dear readers. I hope that doesn't give too much away. I'm always a stickler for reading too much into the text and making ambiguous assumptions, but I guess it payed off in the end for The Eternity Cure. I'm excited to see how the final installment of the Blood of Eden trilogy is going to end and what is in store for Allison when everything she's fighting for all comes crumbling down to the very last seconds. It's a race against the clock, can she stop Sarren before it's too late? It's questions like these that haunt me.

Final Summation: An engrossing read from beginning to end and everywhere inbetween. Fans of Julie Kagawa know that disappointment is not an option. Informative recapping of the previous book to help readers remember what was forgotten, character-wise as well as story-wise. You'll be rooting for Allison even harder than you had in the first book only because the clock is really winding down on her this time around. Suspense driven, The Eternity Cure makes you wish that the final book was right beside you rather than months away from being published. This is a trilogy that you do not want to stop reading.

First Line: I smelled blood as soon as I walked into the room.
Story: S
Cover: S