Search this blog

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Review + Audio Sample: Fox Forever by Mary E. Pearson

Publication Date: March 19, 2013
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Series: Jenna Fox Chronicles #3
Young Adult
Pages: 304
Genre: Science Fiction
Goodreads | Amazon
Locke Jenkins has some catching up to do. After spending 260 years as a disembodied mind in a little black box, he has a perfect new body. But before he can move on with his unexpected new life, he’ll have to return the Favor he accepted from the shadowy resistance group known as the Network.
Locke must infiltrate the home of a government official by gaining the trust of his daughter, seventeen-year-old Raine, and he soon finds himself pulled deep into the world of the resistance—and into Raine’s life.


*Digital galley provided by publisher for an honest review* 

It's always a bittersweet conclusion when it comes to finishing trilogies with me. Putting away my second trilogy in a week, Fox Forever granted a enjoyable close to a wonderfully put together story.

It had been almost two years since I've read THE FOX INHERITANCE so my remembrance of the characters and the ending of the second book and even the characters that were a huge influence. Of course I remember Jenna Fox, the protagonist of the first book and the key character of the Jenna Fox Chronicles. Locke, being the main protagonist of the second and third book, the friend of Jenna and Kara, who had been imprisoned in a small cube where his brain had been scanned after the accident that took place in the first book, takes over after Jenna story has finished and cooled off over 260 years of living.

I've always enjoyed the flow of Pearson's writing, keeping my interest in the Jenna Fox chronicles besides the intriguing ideas and themes of advanced technology and this idea of morality and humanity in scanning the brain and bringing back those who are lost, a new form of rebirth. Having the first book on my shelf at home, I'll definitely be picking it back up in the summer time when I start me journey to reread some of my favorite novels.


After getting myself through the beginning, forcing myself to let the characters come back to me as well as what had actually happened in the previous novel, Fox Forever was a smooth sail all the way until the end. World-building had to have been my favorite part of these novels and just the questions that spring up about what would happen if our society actually turned out like this with all these technological innovations through the novel. Even the flow of the writing just retained that essence that I loved in the first Jenna Fox novel.

Locke, as a character, had intrigued me since his awakening in the second novel. Actually having him set in motion in this futuristic world that he'd been thrown into rather than running away in search of Jenna, seeing how Locke integrated himself into this alien society and fit-in in order to complete the "Favor" the resistance put him up for the task and just his recollection on memories helped me feel for his character. Even knowing of his situation: a scanned copy of an original put into this perfectly constructed body in order to live again--there is just that feeling of sympathy on top of a want for the best possible outcome because of everything he had been put through. Locke was a very well thought out character with incredible development that he made this finale a very heartfelt one.

Final Summation: It's always sad to say goodbye to a series, but I can say that the Jenna Fox Chronicles has come to a satisfying conclusion. I even found myself tearing up by the very end of the novel. Fox Forever happens to be a bittersweet conclusion to the Jenna Fox series, but I can say that I am accepting of the series coming to an end. It makes for a new adventure when I get to read the entire series all over again.

First Line: I stare at my gravestone.
Story: S
Cover: S