Search this blog

Monday, April 8, 2013

Review: The Goddess Inheritance by Aimee Carter

Publication Date: February 26, 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Series: The Goddess Test #3
Young Adult
Pages: 283
Genre: Fantasy, Mythology, Romance
Goodreads | Amazon
Love or life.

Henry or their child.
The end of her family or the end of the world.
Kate must choose.
During nine months of captivity, Kate Winters has survived a jealous goddess, a vengeful Titan and a pregnancy she never asked for. Now the Queen of the Gods wants her unborn child, and Kate can't stop her--until Cronus offers a deal.
In exchange for her loyalty and devotion, the King of the Titans will spare humanity and let Kate keep her child. Yet even if Kate agrees, he'll destroy Henry, her mother and the rest of the council. And if she refuses, Cronus will tear the world apart until every last god and mortal is dead.
With the fate of everyone she loves resting on her shoulders, Kate must do the impossible: find a way to defeat the most powerful being in existence, even if it costs her everything.
Even if it costs her eternity.
*Digital galley provided by publisher for an honest review*
*Spoiler warning for anyone who has yet to read the series or have yet to finish the second book GODDESS INTERRUPTED*

I'm at a loss for words honestly. When a series ends I always get that sad, empty feeling. The Goddess Test series was actually one that I really enjoyed just sitting outside on the brink of spring in the sunshine. It brought forth the essence of spring for me and whenever I read anything involving this series, I just immediately conjured the association to spring. The mythological aspect of this series really allowed me to forget the world I was living in and envelop myself in the magical nature and the fantasy. I connected with this series and it upsets me to see that it has finally come to an end. With one door closing there must be another to open, but I don't know if I can find a book so easily like The Goddess Test.

Humans and gods alike are dying. The Goddess Inheritance is set forward nine months after the ending of Goddess Interrupted when Kate is fully pregnant and in the clutches of Calliope and the mighty Titan, Chronos. The council is in shambles with impending war on the way and too many gods and goddesses trapped in the hands of the enemy. And Kate has a choice: become Chronos's queen and have her baby save by her side before Calliope can take him away and save the world, or lose Henry and watch the council perish. There is so much going on in this final segment that I wish it never ended. But Aimee Carter brought out all the stakes, all the tricks, all the characters and all the tears by the time The Goddess Inheritance was over and I can honestly say that I am satisfied with the coming and going of this fantastic trilogy.

Lets talk about characters, shall we?

I don't think I've ever openly hated a character as much as I had Calliope. (No, I lied. Joffrey, you little shit.) But anyway, Calliope has to be one well put together character whose neck I just wanted to wring in order for Kate and Henry to just be together and have little baby Milo to have their peace after everything the other has been through. Throughout the trilogy, the character development in Calliope was done so well. Just how many characters can you say that you openly hate because you're supposed to hate them? Carter pieced together a wonderfully developed villain whose back-story does justify her behavior. I clap for Calliope just this once before I really do get my hands near her neck.

Over the growth of the series Kate grows and matures to the state of becoming a goddess after passing the goddess test, hence the plot point of the first book. After everything that's thrown at her through these three novels, Kate struggles to keep her humanity from losing its way while having to commit to decisions as a goddess and accepting the repercussions of those decisions. There are questions she wants answered, people she wants to save, but posing forces from left and right twist and turn Kate and the only way for her to get down to business is for her maturity to grow and I think that Carter has really shown the extent of how mature shes become over the course of these novels. As well as her growing fondness and ultimate love for Henry. Everything has been carefully paced out in these characters to ensue for long-term development and really show the extent of what each character is willing to put to the table.

World-building was fabulous as always. I just always have the same problem that I had with the other novels--the fact that I can never remember which god/goddess is who until I get to the end of the book when the list is right up in my face. I feel the list should be in the front of the book for the last two novels and the novellas just so the I can get an understanding of who is who rather than going through the entire novel trying to play Guess Who? with myself. I'm sure that I wasn't the only one with this problem.

Final Summation: Though I'm sad to have this series end I'm glad at the way it ended. I wish that I had the chance to read this in the springtime, but I don't regret having read this when I did. When the suspense of how everything is going to end just eats me away, I have to give into temptation. It's always so upsetting when an enjoyable story comes to an end, but I'm happy to have had the chance and time to read Kate Winter's engrossing story.

First Lines: Throughout his eternal life, Walter had never witnessed countless summers, but never one as endless as this.
Story: S
Cover: B