Search this blog

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Review: The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die by April Henry

Publication Date: June 11, 2013
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)
Stand alone novel
Young Adult
Pages: 224
Genre: Contemporary, Mystery, Thriller


Take her out back and finish her off.”


She doesn’t know who she is. She doesn’t know where she is, or why. All she knows when she comes to in a ransacked cabin is that there are two men arguing over whether or not to kill her.
And that she must run.
In her riveting style, April Henry crafts a nail-biting thriller involving murder, identity theft, and biological warfare. Follow Cady and Ty (her accidental savior turned companion), as they race against the clock to stay alive.
*Digital galley provided by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) for an honest review*

Riveting.
Heart stopping.
Action packed.

The Girl Who Was Supposed to Die grabs you and never lets you go, not even on the very last page. I was let there to mull over what I had just read. Adrenaline to the maximum. I consumed this book in a matter of hours. It was short, but oh so sweet.

Cady had woken up broken. She has no memory of where she is or who she was. All she knows is that someone is trying to kill her. In her fight for survival, Cady leaves and looks for help, hoping that someone can tell her who she is and save her before she gets killed. When she meets Ty, a boy who works at McDonalds, he comes to rescue her. They team up in trying to save Cady and return her memories before time runs out.

There is never a chapter that failed to leave me flipping the pages fast enough. I wanted know what had happened to Cady. Who she was. Where her family was. What she was going to do. Who was trying to kill her. So many questions that could be fathomed. So many possibilities. But I was neck and neck with Cady the entire novel. Wanting to know the truth. Wanting her to remember.

Events on every page. There was never a time to stop and take a breath. Never a chance to slow down. When I say that this book is fast, it's fast. It flows so smoothly. Connecting like platforms that let you advance. And advancing is the only thing you can do. Because there is no turning back.

I found myself surprised at the lengths that Ty was willing to go to help Cady remember. Having hit-men on his back. Doing illegal things that are considered felonies. Putting himself and his future in so much jeopardy. All for Cady, a girl that he met in McDonalds. Unfathomable. Unrealistic? Not sure, but I know that Cady would have been too much of a handful for me. So I give all of the props to Ty for everything he had went through in order to help and save Cady. And he is a pretty well wound character, just a little unorthodox to say the least.

Final Summation: Ready for your blood to start pumping in your ears? For your heart to rocket out of your chest? THE GIRL WHO WAS SUPPOSED TO DIE stupefies. It did to me. Between the staccato sentences that beat just as quick as a heart does and the ongoing suspense, I was frozen. But I had to turn the pages. I had to know. And that's what this novel does. You want. You crave. You cannot not pick up this one. You have to have it.  

First Line: I wake up.
Story: S
Cover: A