Search this blog

Monday, August 18, 2014

Review: Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas
Series: Throne of Glass #3
Publication Date: September 2, 2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
A Young Adult novel
Pages: 565
Genre: Fantasy, Romance

        buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery
Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy. 
          While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?
*An advanced readers copy was provided by the publisher for an honest review*


I've been nothing but patient when it comes to the Throne of Glass books, only because I forget everything that happens in the previous novel and then get stuck in muck while trying to remember the details of the last novel and also progress in the current one. Heir of Fire was a coaster that had its moments, but it only shined during the latter part of the novel.

Heir of Fire starts out with our feisty, but adoring assassin, Celaena, in Wendlyn following the ending of book two with all of her emotions in a jumble. It might just be me, but I wasn't feeling all that pumped for the beginning of book two with Celaena moping around Wendlyn roofs, getting drunk off her ass. It took me quite a bit to really get back into the connection that I had with all of Maas' characters, even the new ones like Rowan and Manon took me quite a ways to actually find something of merit in their character traits and personalities, and finally connect with them on a personal level. Unfortunately that happens in the very last part of the novel. Yet, Celaena's growth in Heir of Fire brought me to my knees, and her back story was engrossing and powerful, bring back my adoration for her fiery, stockaded character. I await her powerful presence in book 4.

The last part of Heir of Fire is the best part of the entire novel. Literal shit goes down. As always. Like Maas likes to do with every single character. And boy does it get dark. And I LOVE it! Just like the previous book, and book one, the ending is what keeps me reading the Throne of Glass series again and again. Though there are bumps and lagging portions along the way, Maas is able to snap her fingers and keep me captivated to read the next book. Not to mention her Pintrest does entice me to keep up my reading.

Final Summation: Despite the diminutive interest I had during the beginning and middle parts of the novel, and some character's scenes and POV, I am highly impressed by the ending of the book. Maas' additional characters in HEIR OF FIRE brought even more depth to Celaena's story and the world-building. I cannot wait to watch the battle continue in book 4 as I am on the edge of my seat for the fate of every character I've ever encountered and loved. All hail the Queen!! 



 Four targets slayed by Celaena Sardothien. One feisty assassin.