Search this blog

Monday, February 16, 2015

Review: The One by Kiera Cass

The One by Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #3
Publication Date: May 6, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
A Young Adult novel
Pages: 323
Genre: Dystopian 
 Romance 

       buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery 
The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

So much better than the first two books. The One ended spectacularly, even had my heart stop for just a moment, just a moment, before pumping again. This one was most definitely a roller coaster that I was happy to have ridden. 
Happily, there was a breakthrough with the supporting characters and who would have thought i'd actually enjoy the company of Celeste and want more from her. She ended up being one of my favorite characters. Her character had definitely grown the most out of all the girls that came into the Selection, and even ended up outshining the little heroine America.

And America. Still love to dislike her. Though she does gradually grow throughout the series, and even throughout this final installment of her story, I still didn't find her growing on me. I found her lack of pursuit to right her wrongs, to tell the truth, a distasteful part of her character. And Maxon's contempt towards America when her secret and Aspen's true identity is revealed, not by her own accord, not by telling him the truth, was well deserved on America's part. I did feel bad though, because I was pushing for her and Maxon in the end. Rather than have her pursue the prince and keep Aspen as a safety net if she were to be released from the Selection. So bravo to Maxon for the pure, hardcore feelings, that really hit me in the gut.

While The One had some twists throughout, there were quite a few that I had picked up in the earlier novels that only surfaced toward the end. Stuff about the rebels, though I glad had a much more prominent position in this book, was predictable for me. Not sure about others who read the series, but America's dad, yeah, I called that one back in book 2. Meanwhile, the ending battle with the rebels, not only caught me by surprise, but those who were killed had me upset to the point of screaming out at the book in my hands. So surprises and twists in The One pretty much equaled out in my eyes.

Final Summation: Satisfied with this last book of America's story, and happy at the conclusion that Kiera Cass had written. Definitely happy that I picked up these books despite the sad attempt The Elite had been, The One outshone all my expectations of this fun-to-read series. I cannot wait to see the new story that Kiera Cass will give her readers in the forth book, The Heir.

Four targets slayed for a wonderful conclusion