Search this blog

Monday, March 2, 2015

Review: Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent #3
Publication Date: October 22, 2013
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
A Young Adult novel
Pages: 526
Genre: Science Fiction • Romance

       buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered--fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. 
        But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature--and of herself--while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. 
        Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

I'm satisfied that I have finally read this series until the very end.  Through the ups and downs that I had through these books, it is both sad to be saying goodbye to these characters and this world, but also a weight off my shoulders. I also feel a little lighter now that the tears have finally left my eyes.

Allegiant has a lot going on in it. Rebellion. A coup. Science-y stuff. Basically the plot of The Truman Show. Manipulation on various levels. Terms thrown out a lot like "genetically damaged" and "genetically pure." Serums galore. Sexy time. And, unfortunately, death.

It packs a punch. And at the same time, is slow as molasses. Things don't really pick up until later in the book. So if you zipped through Divergent and Insurgent, this one is going to take you a little longer than the last two. But the gang is all together. Tris, Tobias, Christina, Uriah, Peter, Caleb. And things get real.

So while I mainly enjoyed the final installment of the Divergent series, there happened to be a few things that disappointed me throughout my read.

The dual perspective really threw me off. Especially since it was a new adaptation to the series from the previous two books. I was so used to reading Tris's point of view, that when it came for Tobias to start telling his story I thought I was still reading from Tris's perspective. Though others who have read it were happy to finally get Tobias's side of things, I felt that adding this feature to the novel this late in the game was not only disruptive to the sequence of the previous two books, but it didn't pull the wool over my eyes for what happened in the second half of the novel. I understand the need of the dual perspectives, but I felt it to be a giveaway.

Really the only other major disappoint happened to be Tobias's character. Like I had said, his viewpoint and Tris's merged together while I was reading, making it hard to find Tobias's voice. What was given instead of his typical strong, determined, and kickass character that I fell in love with in the previous two novels was a callow, unreasonable boy who needed to lean on Tris in order to stand. When left to make his own decisions, impulse and irrationality smother the once calculated Four, and I was upset at how stupid he was being. The Four that I was used to reading had completely vanished in Allegiant.

As far as the ending goes, since there had been controversy, I enjoyed the way that Allegiant wrapped up. I cried, and my heart tore to pieces, and I wished for a happier ending, but I enjoyed the realism and the calm after the storm.

Final Summation: An ending I won't forget. Allegiant closes the curtain on the story of Tris and Tobias and the world of Divergent, but my heart doesn't wish to let them go just yet. Satisfied with how it ended, but saddened by some of the dynamics in getting to the end, I close the book and wipe tears from my eyes and look forward to the next novel Veronica Roth puts to the page.


Four targets slayed for love before factions